1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 15:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Except he (whodey) made the 'prediction' after the earthquake so he doesn't get full prophet status.
    But I had not even heard about the quake!!

So where is my req? 😠
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 06:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    But I had not even heard about the quake!!

So where is my req? 😠
    But if the quake occurs before the eclipse then the actual alignment of the moon and sun is no greater than what occurs regularly nearly every day so we need to dismiss any quakes occurring in the week before the eclipse. In fact the quake instead provides us with solid evidence that quakes and eclipses are frequent enough that they naturally occur near each other anyway without any particular reason.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 12:11
    But if the quake occurs before the eclipse then the actual alignment of the moon and sun is no greater than what occurs regularly nearly every day so we need to dismiss any quakes occurring in the week before the eclipse. In fact the quake instead provides us with solid evidence that quakes and eclipses are frequent enough that they naturally occur near each other anyway without any particular reason.
    Actually I am happy to be wrong. I would hate to be right and see a bunch of people die. Then again, I suppose I have a few more days to be proven wrong, eh?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '09 08:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually I am happy to be wrong. I would hate to be right and see a bunch of people die. Then again, I suppose I have a few more days to be proven wrong, eh?
    Not all quakes cause deaths, in fact the vast majority do not. Its the really big quakes in populated areas that don't experience many quakes that really do the most damage (the buildings aren't ready for it etc).

If the idea was right it might help us to prepare for quakes and thus reduce the number of deaths though there would have to be a fairly high correlation for it to be really useful - but for the reasons given earlier in the thread I find it highly unlikely that it is right.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 22:22
    Not all quakes cause deaths, in fact the vast majority do not. Its the really big quakes in populated areas that don't experience many quakes that really do the most damage (the buildings aren't ready for it etc).

If the idea was right it might help us to prepare for quakes and thus reduce the number of deaths though there would have to be a fairly hig ...[text shortened]... - but for the reasons given earlier in the thread I find it highly unlikely that it is right.
    I think my calculations of the gravity field of the moon plus the sun is not much more than the moon's gravity alone, since it is so much closer we are lying further into the moon's gravity well and the sun's gravity well is running a bit thin a hundred million miles away, of course not zero by any means but less than one millionth of the force of the moons gravity. They say there is a big alignment of the planets coming in december 2012, which is the date for the doomsday prophesy of the Mayans. I think a lot of people are going to be dissapointed/relieved when 2013 comes around with no world wide disaster.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 03:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think my calculations of the gravity field of the moon plus the sun is not much more than the moon's gravity alone, since it is so much closer we are lying further into the moon's gravity well and the sun's gravity well is running a bit thin a hundred million miles away, of course not zero by any means but less than one millionth of the force of the moons ...[text shortened]... ple are going to be dissapointed/relieved when 2013 comes around with no world wide disaster.
    Be honest, is there a little bit of fear about that date regarding yourself?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:36
    I'm still waiting for the quake!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree