1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 00:21
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    I was wondering what the theoretical max speed would be, given the established critical variables. I still don't know who "they" are, and what exactly you mean when you say "global warming super storm." What is that?
    Brought about by global warming.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 13:21
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Brought about by global warming.
    The "super" part just means big? Are there sub-super hurricanes?

Of course, warmer waters means faster hurricane wind speeds. But the ocean's only about 0.1 degree warmer than it was when they first started measuring. Why not use a more precise word instead of "super" which is vague beyond recognition? Is that a quote from somewhere?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 13:371 edit
    Ok I looked it up. "Superstorm" really refers to a subjective description of a storms destruction, not the wind speed or category of hurricane. So it has nothing to do directly with max wind speeds of hurricanes. It seems like the superstorm stuff is random.

The global warming prediction is that since the sea levels are higher than they used to be, it makes storm surges worse, which increases the destructive power and makes them more "super" (I guess?). Also theoretically, when ocean temps rise, and ocean currents shift, the limits in max size and intensity of hurricanes should increase. Based on historical records, it looks like our Atlantic hurricanes max out at around 185-190 mph. How would that max change if the Caribbean were 1 degree warmer?

They say that Sandy was so super because ocean temps at the time were 5 degrees above normal. What I can't find on the internets is, how does that translate into wind speeds?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 01:38
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    Ok I looked it up. "Superstorm" really refers to a subjective description of a storms destruction, not the wind speed or category of hurricane. So it has nothing to do directly with max wind speeds of hurricanes. It seems like the superstorm stuff is random.

The global warming prediction is that since the sea levels are higher than they used to be, it ...[text shortened]... s above normal. What I can't find on the internets is, how does that translate into wind speeds?
    Local water temps determine storm strength. California gets warmer waters during el nino currents.

Perhaps warmer currents coincided with Sandy. Of course that storm's destruction was because of where it hit.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 16:33
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Local water temps determine storm strength. California gets warmer waters during el nino currents.

Perhaps warmer currents coincided with Sandy. Of course that storm's destruction was because of where it hit.
    If super storms are defined by cost of damage it seems that it is a function of developed land and construction technique as opposed to windspeed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree