1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    05 Sep '17 22:311 edit
    How fast can hurricanes get? Irma's at 185 mph which puts it in rarefied air for hurricanes. Faster winds speeds have been measured, though, in tornadoes and at the top of Mount Washington. It seems like scientists have a good hold on established upper limits of hurricanes based on the surface temperature of the ocean waters, but what about when that changes? Surely there are other limitations as well, including the rate and/or efficiency of converting heat energy into wind speeds. Could a hurricane theoretically approach or exceed the speed of sound? What's the max?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    11 Sep '17 02:47
    It was only a cat 2 when it hit Naples.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    11 Sep '17 10:311 edit
    Charley was worse, let alone Andrew.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    11 Sep '17 10:371 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Charley was worse, let alone Andrew.
    Is this what they mean by global warming super storms, typical hurricanes?
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    11 Sep '17 14:20
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Is this what they mean by global warming super storms, typical hurricanes?
    Who is they? What is a global warming super storm?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    11 Sep '17 14:34
    We're all gonna die! 😲
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    11 Sep '17 23:44
    Originally posted by @whodey
    We're all gonna die! 😲
    Too late.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    11 Sep '17 23:45
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    Who is they? What is a global warming super storm?
    Exactly
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    12 Sep '17 02:51
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Exactly
    Exactly what? You brought it up.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    13 Sep '17 00:531 edit
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    Exactly what? You brought it up.
    You were pondering as if Irma was some great powerful srorm.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_intense_tropical_cyclones


    Irmas 185 isn't even close to the record.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    13 Sep '17 05:172 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You were pondering as if Irma was some great powerful srorm.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_intense_tropical_cyclones


    Irmas 185 isn't even close to the record.
    If you sort it by wind speed you can easily see that there is only one storm stronger than Irma (185 mph) and this is Allen (190 mph).

    How do you mean, "not even close"? Haven't you read the list yourself...?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    13 Sep '17 11:19
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    If you sort it by wind speed you can easily see that there is only one storm stronger than Irma (185 mph) and this is Allen (190 mph).

    How do you mean, "not even close"? Haven't you read the list yourself...?
    I think you can find one with over 200. In any case our record of wind speed is not very long.

    Irma was a dud.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    13 Sep '17 12:021 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I think you can find one with over 200. In any case our record of wind speed is not very long.

    Irma was a dud.
    Apology accepted. 🙂
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    13 Sep '17 16:13
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You were pondering as if Irma was some great powerful srorm.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_intense_tropical_cyclones


    Irmas 185 isn't even close to the record.
    I was wondering what the theoretical max speed would be, given the established critical variables. I still don't know who "they" are, and what exactly you mean when you say "global warming super storm." What is that?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '17 23:06
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    I was wondering what the theoretical max speed would be, given the established critical variables. I still don't know who "they" are, and what exactly you mean when you say "global warming super storm." What is that?
    Here is a site listing all kinds of hurricane records, max 1 minute wind, Allen, 1980, 190 MPH but there are a bunch of other records too, lowest barometer readings and such.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records
Back to Top