1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '12 00:36
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120518132549.htm

Game changer technology. Tiny silicon fingers form and un-form in a solid!
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 May '12 08:173 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120518132549.htm

Game changer technology. Tiny silicon fingers form and un-form in a solid!
    yes, I also find that quite interesting.
    The selected bits I personally find by far the most interesting are:

“...
    ScienceDaily (May 18, 2012) — The first purely silicon oxide-based 'Resistive RAM' memory chip that can operate in ambient conditions -- opening up the possibility of new super-fast memory -- has been developed by researchers at UCL.
    Resistive RAM (or 'ReRAM'😉 memory chips are based on materials, most often oxides of metals, whose electrical resistance changes when a voltage is applied -- and they "remember" this change even when the power is turned off.
    ReRAM chips promise significantly greater memory storage than current technology, such as the Flash memory used on USB sticks, and require much less energy and space

"Our ReRAM memory chips need just a thousandth of the energy and are around a hundred times faster than standard Flash memory chips. The fact that the device can operate in ambient conditions and has a continuously variable resistance opens up a huge range of potential applications.

For added flexibility, the UCL devices can also be designed to have a continuously variable resistance that depends on the last voltage that was applied. This is an important property that allows the device to mimic how neurons in the brain function. Devices that operate in this way are sometimes known as 'memristors'.

it also says that the properties of that necessary material was discovered completely accidentally which I find interesting in itself -seems so many discoveries in science and technology are made that way.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '12 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    yes, I also find that quite interesting.
    The selected bits I personally find by far the most interesting are:

“...
    ScienceDaily (May 18, 2012) — The first purely silicon oxide-based 'Resistive RAM' memory chip that can operate in ambient conditions -- opening up the possibility of new super-fast memory -- has been developed by researchers at UCL.
    Resisti sting in itself -seems so many discoveries in science and technology are made that way.
    Accident, serendipity, or not, I'll take it!🙂

It really blows my mind to think of ultra tiny silicon filaments forming and disappearing in such small time frames. I wonder how long those filaments can keep on doing that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree