Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '13 14:21
    http://phys.org/news/2013-04-memory-effect-lithium-ion-batteries.html#ajTabs

    Formerly thought to happen only in NiCad's but now shown to have been there all along in Li-ion ones too. They think a smart charging technique might mitigate the effect however, which you can't do in NiCads.
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    16 Apr '13 19:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2013-04-memory-effect-lithium-ion-batteries.html#ajTabs

    Formerly thought to happen only in NiCad's but now shown to have been there all along in Li-ion ones too. They think a smart charging technique might mitigate the effect however, which you can't do in NiCads.
    If this is so, then the scientists have shown themselves to be wrong again. How many other things will they discover that they have been wrong about? Evilution, maybe?
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '13 22:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If this is so, then the scientists have shown themselves to be wrong again. How many other things will they discover that they have been wrong about? Evilution, maybe?
    Why don't you go back to trolling the spiritual forum and leave science to the big boys.
    You seem to think scientists can't be wrong but they are wrong all the time and science is better for it. Religion on the other hand, never gets better, only more repressive as time goes on. And you get more repressive as time goes on.
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    16 Apr '13 23:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why don't you go back to trolling the spiritual forum and leave science to the big boys.
    You seem to think scientists can't be wrong but they are wrong all the time and science is better for it. Religion on the other hand, never gets better, only more repressive as time goes on. And you get more repressive as time goes on.
    I think Christianity has gotten better over time. I don't here of very many people being stoned or burned at the stake by Christians now.
  5. 17 Apr '13 04:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why don't you go back to trolling the spiritual forum and leave science to the big boys.
    You seem to think scientists can't be wrong but they are wrong all the time and science is better for it. Religion on the other hand, never gets better, only more repressive as time goes on. And you get more repressive as time goes on.
    Science is a conception of man as a way to describe our world around us and use those discoveries to help and hurt man in war. Religion is a conception of man as a way to describe our world around us and use these teachings to cause division and justify war. Why don't you boys just bury the hatchet shake hands and admit you are on the same team?
  6. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    17 Apr '13 10:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If this is so, then the scientists have shown themselves to be wrong again. How many other things will they discover that they have been wrong about? Evilution, maybe?
    That's how science works. Once a theory is found to be wrong it is discarded and replaced by a better one.

    Religion works by formulating a fairy tale and then refusing to change it even when there is a huge amount of evidence that it is wrong. Stubbornness and ignorance in one efficient package.

    And that, folks, is why science and religion have nothing to say to each other.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Apr '13 10:53
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Science is a conception of man as a way to describe our world around us and use those discoveries to help and hurt man in war. Religion is a conception of man as a way to describe our world around us and use these teachings to cause division and justify war. Why don't you boys just bury the hatchet shake hands and admit you are on the same team?
    So science and religion are both responsible for wars?
  8. 18 Apr '13 11:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So science and religion are both responsible for wars?
    Heck no sonhouse. Religion drives the wars and the wars drive the science.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Apr '13 21:40
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Heck no sonhouse. Religion drives the wars and the wars drive the science.
    THAT I can buy. Nothing like a war to drive science, for sure. Just look at the Manhattan project. The Osprey was another one, big boondoggle that one. Now there is a third gen Osprey where the engine doesn't turn, just the rotors and transmission. Now lasers are being weaponized. Nothing like a 100,000 watt laser to give you a sunburn at 300 miles They have already been used on those ship pirates, reach out and touch someone....
  10. 19 Apr '13 00:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    THAT I can buy. Nothing like a war to drive science, for sure. Just look at the Manhattan project. The Osprey was another one, big boondoggle that one. Now there is a third gen Osprey where the engine doesn't turn, just the rotors and transmission. Now lasers are being weaponized. Nothing like a 100,000 watt laser to give you a sunburn at 300 miles They have already been used on those ship pirates, reach out and touch someone....
    The other thing about lasers is that they don't have to be very powerful to cause blindness.
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Apr '13 06:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    THAT I can buy. Nothing like a war to drive science, for sure. Just look at the Manhattan project. The Osprey was another one, big boondoggle that one. Now there is a third gen Osprey where the engine doesn't turn, just the rotors and transmission. Now lasers are being weaponized. Nothing like a 100,000 watt laser to give you a sunburn at 300 miles They have already been used on those ship pirates, reach out and touch someone....
    Do you also call that evilution?
  12. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    19 Apr '13 08:36 / 3 edits
    What's the good of having a Science Forum if that idiot troll is encouraged to talk his rubbish? Trying to reason with him is a complete waste of time, that's like trying to reason with a block of wood. He needs grownups to ignore him altogether and go on with their sensible discussion without responding to him at all. If you bite, he wins, he gets what he wants and doesn't deserve, which is attention.

    I read the article which refers to SOME lithium-ion batteries. Is there any more information available, perhaps advising us to change our battery-charger use patterns?
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Apr '13 12:52
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    What's the good of having a Science Forum if that idiot troll is encouraged to talk his rubbish? Trying to reason with him is a complete waste of time, that's like trying to reason with a block of wood. He needs grownups to ignore him altogether and go on with their sensible discussion without responding to him at all. If you bite, he wins, he gets what he ...[text shortened]... y more information available, perhaps advising us to change our battery-charger use patterns?
    I think this is the first paper on the subject. I imagine in the future more will be known and how to deal with the problem. It does sound like a more advanced charging system will deal with the problem but of course engineers need to exactly understand the problem and design circuitry to avoid it. That won't happen till more engineering teams get involved. This kind of thing doesn't get solved by just one person in a garage.
  14. 27 Apr '13 13:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    THAT I can buy. Nothing like a war to drive science, for sure.
    I don't buy it. Is there any actual evidence that spending on science increases during war time or that more scientist work or that they work harder during war time?
    Sure a lot of science has been done during war time, but is there any good reason to believe it is quantitatively more than a similar period in peace time?
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Apr '13 13:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't buy it. Is there any actual evidence that spending on science increases during war time or that more scientist work or that they work harder during war time?
    Sure a lot of science has been done during war time, but is there any good reason to believe it is quantitatively more than a similar period in peace time?
    What do you think the Apollo mission was? Do you think Kennedy just put it out there because he was actually interested in science? I think that cost 25 billion in 60's money. Not that I am bitching about it, since I was on the Apollo team. It was the direct result of the cold war, beat the Soviets at something in space since they beat us to the punch with satellites.

    Don't know if you were around ATT but it ended with a thud the moment we proved better than the Soviets at going to the moon.

    Nixon saw to that.

    Also, the Manhattan project was a direct result of war.

    All the warcraft machines, like bombers and such, would there have been such a beast if it hadn't been for war?

    And one we take for granted, Radar. That was directly a result of war, invented in Britain and improved in the US when my former company's founders, Ray and Russell Varian, invented the high power microwave transmitter tube called the Klystron, they invented that in their garage early on and it became a huge part of the war effort.

    Microwave antenna's developed because of wartime research.

    Pistols were invented specifically with war in mind. The original first pistol useful in battlefield conditions was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci, called the Wheellock. He designed it and the design was stolen by his helper and developed in Germany in the 1500's and in fact was the first pistol to be used in a war time assassination which started a war in France. The first assassination by pistol was the shooting of Duke Guise, not sure if I spelled that one right, but it started a war in that lasted for years. Here is a link to that pistol. They didn't know in this article the originator was Leonardo Da Vinci.

    http://www.saf.org/journal/9/arnold1.htm