1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 14:11
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Sigh.
    This is what happens when you rely on media reports without doing your own checking.

Asteroid coincidence

The Russian Academy of Sciences estimates that the meteor weighed about 10 tonnes and entered the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of at least 54,000 km/h (33,000mph).

Either the BBC has made a serious typo... Or the Russian Academy of Sciences needs to
    relearn how to do maths... Personally I suspect the BBC.
    Reports now are over 1000, maybe even 1200 people injured. This meteorite has caused more human injuries than anything on record. For instance, the one that made Barringer crater in Arizona clocked in at about 50,000 years ago, way before there were people there.

Were there any reports of human injuries or death as a result of the Tunguska strike? That was about 100 years ago, like they said, a 100 year event. That one was probably 50 times more powerful than the recent one.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 14:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Reports now are over 1000, maybe even 1200 people injured. This meteorite has caused more human injuries than anything on record. For instance, the one that made Barringer crater in Arizona clocked in at about 50,000 years ago, way before there were people there.

Were there any reports of human injuries or death as a result of the Tunguska strike? That w ...[text shortened]... e they said, a 100 year event. That one was probably 50 times more powerful than the recent one.
    I don't believe that there were any recorded injuries or deaths from the Tunguska event...
    Although I suppose it's possible that there might have been the odd hunter wandering around
    in the blast zone and nobody found what was left of them.

However I think it was way more than 50 times bigger.

Tunguska was (according to wiki) between 5~30 MT TNT yeild.

The current estimates for this event put it at the few KT TNT range... So of the order of 1000
    times less powerful.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 Feb '13 15:37
    I don't believe that there were any recorded injuries or deaths from the Tunguska event...
    Although I suppose it's possible that there might have been the odd hunter wandering around
    in the blast zone and nobody found what was left of them.

However I think it was way more than 50 times bigger.

Tunguska was (according to wiki) between 5~30 MT TN ...[text shortened]... or this event put it at the few KT TNT range... So of the order of 1000
    times less powerful.
    I wonder what would have happened if the meteor came straight in? Could it have reached the ground? If not would there have been more devastation on the planet surface? Perhaps that happened with the Tunguska incedent.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 04:06
    There is gold in them thar hills!!

I hear tiny pebbles go for about $2000 a piece.

So who's going with me!! 😠
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 11:111 edit
    Some fun armchair astronomy:
    http://ogleearth.com/2013/02/reconstructing-the-chelyabinsk-meteors-path-with-google-earth-youtube-and-high-school-math/

Are meteors astronomy?
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 11:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Some fun armchair astronomy:
    http://ogleearth.com/2013/02/reconstructing-the-chelyabinsk-meteors-path-with-google-earth-youtube-and-high-school-math/

Are meteors astronomy?
    Yes, meteors are astronomy.
  7. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Feb '13 11:22
    Sigh.
    This is what happens when you rely on media reports without doing your own checking.

Asteroid coincidence

The Russian Academy of Sciences estimates that the meteor weighed about 10 tonnes and entered the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of at least 54,000 km/h (33,000mph).

Either the BBC has made a serious typo... Or the Russian Academy of Sciences needs to
    relearn how to do maths... Personally I suspect the BBC.
    Actually that comes from one Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, whatever that is. He is also saying the explosion was about 300 kt.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 21:08
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Actually that comes from one Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, whatever that is. He is also saying the explosion was about 300 kt.
    One thing I am not sure of, was the 300 Kt the result of the meteorite actually exploding in place or was it the result of the path through the atmosphere, that is to say, the power inherent in the sonic boom shock wave? If that was where that # came from, it would have been spread out over many miles and no one place would have received the full dose.
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    05 Mar '13 03:59
    i watched armageddon on tv the other night ... it could happen!! but i remember reading somewhere one excuse for not looking for asteroids is the odds of one hitting a city is very slim, ok if it hits lewes or the ocean but a city its slim... it says in that film 3% of the sky is watched ??
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    05 Mar '13 04:08
    http://www.contemporarysmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/papa-maurizio-cattelan_600x398.jpg

even slimmer odds
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Mar '13 05:50
    Originally posted by e4chris
    i watched armageddon on tv the other night ... it could happen!! but i remember reading somewhere one excuse for not looking for asteroids is the odds of one hitting a city is very slim, ok if it hits lewes or the ocean but a city its slim... it says in that film 3% of the sky is watched ??
    The odds of it hitting the ocean is very high, and an ocean strike would cause a tidal wave. Much of the worlds civilization is on the coasts and vulnerable to tidal waves.
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 00:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    One thing I am not sure of, was the 300 Kt the result of the meteorite actually exploding in place or was it the result of the path through the atmosphere, that is to say, the power inherent in the sonic boom shock wave? If that was where that # came from, it would have been spread out over many miles and no one place would have received the full dose.
    I think it was the explosion. The sonic boom would probably not be relevant considering how high up it was when it went bang. The damage was caused by the equivalent of a fair to middling nuke air burst.
  13. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 00:28
    The odds of it hitting the ocean is very high, and an ocean strike would cause a tidal wave. Much of the worlds civilization is on the coasts and vulnerable to tidal waves.
    The rock that finished the dinos off hit ocean. Shallow ocean admittedly, but still ocean.
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 03:16
    Maybe Armageddon was to prepare us!! Its spooky but in about 1997, there was a newspaper headline, the independant, that an Asteroid would destroy europe in 2028. 'End of the world' or something. I bought it, but never saw anything about it since...
  15. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 13:49
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Maybe Armageddon was to prepare us!! Its spooky but in about 1997, there was a newspaper headline, the independant, that an Asteroid would destroy europe in 2028. 'End of the world' or something. I bought it, but never saw anything about it since...
    That's because the scientists who spotted the chunk of space rock got stroppy when their research was misused. As far as I know, there is noe thought to be no chance that the rock will hit us in 2028. There will be a chance when it comes around again a few years later but even then prediction of which bit of earth the rock will hit aren't going to be possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree