Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Dec '18 21:271 edit
    @metal-brain said
    @DeepThought

Coming soon.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/pluto-and-beyond/
    You posted a 26 second video? I think most of us have heard of New Horizon and it's closeup of a 20 km wide rock on Jan 1. I sure hope they get good pictures,
    I was thinking about whey they didn't aim closer that 3000 odd km. It is traveling quite a bit faster than Earth escape velocity so if they went by at say 100 km away they would get great closeups but they would have maybe 10 or 20 seconds to see the whole thing. Taking pictures from 3000 km away gives much more time for the camera to do its job. It will pass quite a bit closer than the Pluto flyby so the images will have better res than Pluto's. The images should be spectacular.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 02:51
    @sonhouse said
    You posted a 26 second video? I think most of us have heard of New Horizon and it's closeup of a 20 km wide rock on Jan 1. I sure hope they get good pictures,
    I was thinking about whey they didn't aim closer that 3000 odd km. It is traveling quite a bit faster than Earth escape velocity so if they went by at say 100 km away they would get great closeups but they would have ...[text shortened]... the Pluto flyby so the images will have better res than Pluto's. The images should be spectacular.
    The video is a preview. It has not aired yet.
    This Wednesday I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree