More energy out than in using fusion, first time!:

More energy out than in using fusion, first time!:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Feb 14
1 edit

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-nif-gain-fusion-fuel.html#ajTabs

Fusion is beginning to show its worth, the 50 years is getting closer!

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-laser-fusion-yields-energy.html#inlRlv

h

Moves
13 Feb 14

But I wonder how many years it will take to really get it out of the lab and into the real world power generation. If it takes much more than ~20 years, I bet it would be made redundant by the combination of renewables and off-the-grid storage before it even has a chance to pan out -and then it would be all for nothing.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by humy
But I wonder how many years it will take to really get it out of the lab and into the real world power generation. If it takes much more than ~20 years, I bet it would be made redundant by the combination of renewables and off-the-grid storage before it even has a chance to pan out -and then it would be all for nothing.
I don't think it will be THAT bad, it looks like inertial fusion is beating the ITER tokamak concept so we will see. At least there are several fusion technologies being pursued, it would not do to put all the tech eggs in one basket. There is still fission, it will be around for decades like it or not. I think it sucks but I don't have any political pull. Solar keeps getting more efficient and cheaper with a number of different technologies pursued, organic for instance. Then there is the wave power strips under water, that sounds promising. The thing is, we need a lot of different kinds of technologies producing energy so if some total roadblock happens with one technique others can take its place, like a lot of countries are forgoing nuclear but others will replace that.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Feb 14

"all for nothing"...really?

h

Moves
14 Feb 14
3 edits

Originally posted by joe shmo
"all for nothing"...really?
If it being made obsolete even before it is made practical means it will never be used on Earth, yes.
I predict fission will eventually be used in space -but that is a VERY long way off and hardly worth researching it for that purpose right now.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Feb 14

If it being made obsolete even before it is made practical means it will never be used on Earth, yes.
I predict fission will eventually be used in space -but that is a VERY long way off and hardly worth researching it for that purpose right now.
Fission is already being used in space, several probes including Curiosity are nuke powered. Fusion has a better chance of success as a propulsion system than fission and that would pretty much open up the whole solar system, for instance, if you can muster up a 1 g long term propulsion, just about the entire solar system is reachable within a week or two and that includes Pluto and the outer dwarf planets.

h

Moves
14 Feb 14
5 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
Fission is already being used in space, several probes including Curiosity are nuke powered. Fusion has a better chance of success as a propulsion system than fission and that would pretty much open up the whole solar system, for instance, if you can muster up a 1 g long term propulsion, just about the entire solar system is reachable within a week or two and that includes Pluto and the outer dwarf planets.
Sorry, mispost; I meant to say "fusion"in that post, not "fission" πŸ™‚ Sorry for the confusion.

Does anyone know why I am seeing my smiliys ("πŸ™‚" ) appear with their right side chopped off? Is this a bug at my end or at this website?

h

Moves
14 Feb 14
1 edit

mispost; I meant to say "fusion" there, not "fission" like I did which meant my post didn't make much sense. I do know the big difference between the two.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Feb 14

mispost; I meant to say "fusion" there, not "fission" like I did which meant my post didn't make much sense. I do know the big difference between the two.
Well we are very glad to hear thatπŸ™‚

BTW, the pundits say fusion rockets will be easier to make than fission since you are just going for thrust and don't have to worry too much about details like radiation and such, they say you build a mile long accelerator basically and you can get fusion and a lot more thrust and long lasting thrust than fission or chemical rockets.