1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Jul '14 02:16
    http://phys.org/news/2014-07-universe.html

    These guys are making models that give testable results.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78633
    18 Jul '14 15:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2014-07-universe.html

    These guys are making models that give testable results.
    The synthesis of this with one of Grampy Bobby's threads over in Spirituality leads me to the conclusion that the universe is a bubble of foam in God's beer. The end will come when he drinks it.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Jul '14 15:45
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The synthesis of this with one of Grampy Bobby's threads over in Spirituality leads me to the conclusion that the universe is a bubble of foam in God's beer. The end will come when he drinks it.
    Or it could be the foam from a huge universe sized horse peeing into the straw and when the foam all disappears into the straw it's all over🙂

    But your hypothesis has a possible saving grace: When he pee's out the beer, new bubbles will come about when it hits the big tree he peed on🙂

    So it could be a cyclic pee universe, a universe of one's peers🙂
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78633
    19 Jul '14 01:071 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Or it could be the foam from a huge universe sized horse peeing into the straw and when the foam all disappears into the straw it's all over🙂

    But your hypothesis has a possible saving grace: When he pee's out the beer, new bubbles will come about when it hits the big tree he peed on🙂

    So it could be a cyclic pee universe, a universe of one's peers🙂
    Eeuw, I'm hoping he has another beer. 😉
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    19 Jul '14 05:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Or it could be the foam from a huge universe sized horse peeing into the straw and when the foam all disappears into the straw it's all over🙂

    But your hypothesis has a possible saving grace: When he pee's out the beer, new bubbles will come about when it hits the big tree he peed on🙂

    So it could be a cyclic pee universe, a universe of one's peers🙂
    The Big Wang Theory?
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    40565
    19 Jul '14 10:37
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The Big Wang Theory?
    This made me laugh out loud.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    21 Jul '14 00:05
    Originally posted by C Hess
    This made me laugh out loud.
    As well it should. 😉
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    21 Jul '14 06:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2014-07-universe.html

    These guys are making models that give testable results.
    Well, I don't think so.

    We can speculate if our universe is the only one. But that's the only thing we can do.

    It's as easy (read: hard) to prove the existence of another universe as it is easy (read: hard) to prove the existence of a human soul. Both ideas are speculative. We just don't know enough about the laws of universe to neither confirm or rule out the possibility of another universe.

    This is too much of Star Trek for me...
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    21 Jul '14 13:24
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, I don't think so.

    We can speculate if our universe is the only one. But that's the only thing we can do.

    It's as easy (read: hard) to prove the existence of another universe as it is easy (read: hard) to prove the existence of a human soul. Both ideas are speculative. We just don't know enough about the laws of universe to neither confirm or rule out the possibility of another universe.

    This is too much of Star Trek for me...
    Technology and science has a habit of advancing in the strangest places so don't count this out just yet. Look at string theory or its descendants like M Brane theory. Been around 40 odd years with nothing testable till maybe this year.

    I'd say, put it on the shelf till further evidence shows up but don't dismiss it out of hand.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Jul '14 08:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Technology and science has a habit of advancing in the strangest places so don't count this out just yet. Look at string theory or its descendants like M Brane theory. Been around 40 odd years with nothing testable till maybe this year.

    I'd say, put it on the shelf till further evidence shows up but don't dismiss it out of hand.
    "Technology and science has a habit of advancing in the strangest places so don't count this out just yet."

    The same argument that I heard several pseudo-scientists said. "Well, of course there is a life after death, we have seen the seances from famous mediums so we know that there is something. Technology and science has a habit of advancing in the strangest places, so we just have to wait and see." Change the 'life after death' to anything pseudo and even you have heard it before.

    There are people who actually believes in the technology of Star Trek and Star Gate as it is the truth, and we just have to wait for the scientists to invent the gadgets...

    It would be nice with a multi-verse, exciting and cool, but how about understanding our own a bit better first...?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    22 Jul '14 11:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "Technology and science has a habit of advancing in the strangest places so don't count this out just yet."

    The same argument that I heard several pseudo-scientists said. "Well, of course there is a life after death, we have seen the seances from famous mediums so we know that there is something. Technology and science has a habit of advancing in the s ...[text shortened]... ith a multi-verse, exciting and cool, but how about understanding our own a bit better first...?
    Of course, like you say, it is all in the realm of science fiction but the more we learn about our own universe the easier it will be to figure out if indeed we live in a multiverse. What they are proposing is a way to test the possibilities, they are not saying they have any kind of definitive proof, just ways of reducing the possible alternative theories, perhaps their work will end up refuting the whole idea of multiverses. Time will tell. Cosmology is a relatively young science. Telescopes get more powerful all the time, ground based scopes now exceed Hubble in resolution and light gathering power and space borne telescopes get more powerful decade by decade. Always there is something new found.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Jul '14 12:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course, like you say, it is all in the realm of science fiction but the more we learn about our own universe the easier it will be to figure out if indeed we live in a multiverse. What they are proposing is a way to test the possibilities, they are not saying they have any kind of definitive proof, just ways of reducing the possible alternative theories, ...[text shortened]... space borne telescopes get more powerful decade by decade. Always there is something new found.
    You're right. Of course you are. (No ironi) There is a slight chance that they come up with a verifiable test, even if I doubt it. But the step to a confirmative experiment is huge.

    A more interesting thing to know (IMHO) is how a pre-bangian universe of ours looked like, and if this was an one-time event, or a repetitive one. Or, the definite topology of our universe. Or the properties of the (so called) dark energy and dark matter. Or which of all M-theories are the correct one. Or... or...

    I was once a (minuscule) part of an experiment about 'tired light'. We didn't find anything. And I don't think we will ever find another universe either.

    I see the search of another universe as pseudo as any other pseudo science. But so was the search for the source of electricity once. They found it, and perhaps scientists will find another universe in yet another few hundred of years, who knows...
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78633
    22 Jul '14 15:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You're right. Of course you are. (No ironi) There is a slight chance that they come up with a verifiable test, even if I doubt it. But the step to a confirmative experiment is huge.

    A more interesting thing to know (IMHO) is how a pre-bangian universe of ours looked like, and if this was an one-time event, or a repetitive one. Or, the definite topology ...[text shortened]... perhaps scientists will find another universe in yet another few hundred of years, who knows...
    Imagine it's the medieval era and we are trying to determine whether the earth goes round the sun or vice versa. Also if the sun goes round the earth does it do that once a day or once a year. Until you work out the trick to determine that the earth rotates on its axis you can't answer the latter question. Someone would have been saying exactly what your are.

    Puzzle: What is the trick? How do you tell the earth spins on it's axis using medieval technology?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Jul '14 17:59
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Imagine it's the medieval era and we are trying to determine whether the earth goes round the sun or vice versa. Also if the sun goes round the earth does it do that once a day or once a year. Until you work out the trick to determine that the earth rotates on its axis you can't answer the latter question. Someone would have been saying exactly what y ...[text shortened]... zle: What is the trick? How do you tell the earth spins on it's axis using medieval technology?
    I get your point.

    If you are told that the Earth is 6000 of age years only, and science can prove that fact is true. Would you give it another thought?
    Or if someone saying that he has invented perpetuum mobile?
    Or measured the mass of a soul?

    Do you get my point?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    23 Jul '14 10:291 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Imagine it's the medieval era and we are trying to determine whether the earth goes round the sun or vice versa. Also if the sun goes round the earth does it do that once a day or once a year. Until you work out the trick to determine that the earth rotates on its axis you can't answer the latter question. Someone would have been saying exactly what y ...[text shortened]... zle: What is the trick? How do you tell the earth spins on it's axis using medieval technology?
    I think they proved Earth spins on its axis with a pendulum since they knew a pendulum would swing back and forth in the same path forever unless some outside force was effecting it.

    Couldn't you even tell if you were at the north or south pole by the circularity of the swing? Wouldn't the swing be way different on the equator?
Back to Top