Murder in space?

Murder in space?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

weedhopper

Moves
13 Jul 08

William Shatner jsut told me (via narration of a documentary called Mars Rising) that a Russian cosmonaut threatened to kill his fellow cosmo in 1982, which would have made him the first to kill someone else in earth orbit. I never read that in the news, and I'm sure it wasn't on CNN. Anybody else know about it?

F

Moves
13 Jul 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
William Shatner jsut told me (via narration of a documentary called Mars Rising) that a Russian cosmonaut threatened to kill his fellow cosmo in 1982, which would have made him the first to kill someone else in earth orbit. I never read that in the news, and I'm sure it wasn't on CNN. Anybody else know about it?
It was at the MIR station. Acute depression and paranoia.

(Wasn't me...)

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
13 Jul 08

Do you think you could get away with murder in space, on the grounds that you are not in any countries territory so cannot be tried by their laws?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Jul 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
Do you think you could get away with murder in space, on the grounds that you are not in any countries territory so cannot be tried by their laws?
If you were on a private spacecraft you might be able to get away with that but it still seems no matter where you are, on an interstellar voyage and you come back 100 years later and you murdered someone on board, you would still be bound by the laws of your country of origin. If you are onboard the MIR, I don't see how you could argue you are not on anyone's territory since the Russian government built and owns the craft and pays your wages if you were a Russian citizen. I think the MIR would be considered like a foreign embassy or some such, an outpost in a lawless land.

p
Patricia

Moves
13 Jul 08

This might not apply, but on a cruse ship, one is governed by the laws of the country of ownership. If fact, a man I knew was arrested for masturbating aboard a French liner, but his defense---the water was free, his own soap, and the fact that he thought he should be able to wash his penis as fast as he wished---seemed to work!! He got off.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jul 08

Originally posted by patauro
This might not apply, but on a cruse ship, one is governed by the laws of the country of ownership. If fact, a man I knew was arrested for masturbating aboard a French liner, but his defense---the water was free, his own soap, and the fact that he thought he should be able to wash his penis as fast as he wished---seemed to work!! He got off.
I guess the thing would be WHERE he did it, in the privacy of his own room,
or was it in the cafeteria? I think it would be much the same on board manned spacecraft. Like on Apollo, what if Niel had killed his shipmate on the moon, dumped his body and gotten back in and taken off. What could anyone do? No body, no evidence, like all it would have taken is to puncture the guy's spacesuit, die in 4 minutes. Throw the awl or whatever and take off, what could they do? Well I buried him on the moon, that's what he wanted, he told me before he died".

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
14 Jul 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Did Bill sing it?

I love Bill singing. He's so good he makes Sinatra look like an amateur.

Dear oh dear...

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
15 Jul 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
Did Bill sing it?

I love Bill singing. He's so good he makes Sinatra look like an amateur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE

Dear oh dear...
The beauty brings a tear to my eye. :'(

You've seen the Leonard Nimoy song about Hobbits, right?

e

Moves
16 Jul 08

He got off.[/b]
second time for him then

p
Patricia

Moves
17 Jul 08

In the same day!