1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 07:55
    I came across this:
    YouTube

it says Nevada is killing solar by charging solar owners for the use of powerlines.

This of course is expected as power companies and often local governments see solar as dangerous competition.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I came across this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGk90YljhQ

it says Nevada is killing solar by charging solar owners for the use of powerlines.

This of course is expected as power companies and often local governments see solar as dangerous competition.
    Well, yes, but on the other hand the power lines do have to be put up and maintained. I don't currently have sound on my machine and so it's a little pointless to try watching these video links, so I don't know the exact policy, but it's not looking utterly unreasonable at first glance.
  3. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    22 Feb '16 09:18
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, yes, but on the other hand the power lines do have to be put up and maintained. I don't currently have sound on my machine and so it's a little pointless to try watching these video links, so I don't know the exact policy, but it's not looking utterly unreasonable at first glance.
    Don't they use existing power network for this ? If so then just a nominal fee shld be applicable?
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Feb '16 14:03
    Originally posted by pawnpaw
    Don't they use existing power network for this ? If so then just a nominal fee shld be applicable?
    I don't think it needs extra infrastructure, but if it is all different companies providing parts of the system the power stations pay a fee to the company that maintains the grid. There's no good reason that this should not apply to microgenerators. The only issue is whether the billing system is fair. If the provider of the power lines is charging rent whether or not the generator is generating then the system would militate against solar and other transient forms of electricity generation, but if the billing is per kWh produced then they'd just be taking a cut and it shouldn't be a problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree