Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Aug '10 16:15
    http://esciencenews.com/articles/2010/08/20/u.m.researchers.identify.2.fda.approved.drugs.may.fight.hiv

Interesting new approach, it causes the virus to mutate to extinction. Like a virus on the virus!

I hope for the sake of those millions with this dreaded disease this is the one that works. It is also using two FDA approved drugs so there won't be a long involved process of approval, much shorter time to market and much cheaper.
  2. 21 Aug '10 17:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Interesting new approach, it causes the virus to mutate to extinction. Like a virus on the virus!
    My first thought was we might create a new much worse virus, but I now realize that that is not likely. HIV already mutates at a high rate and this wont really increase the likelihood of worse strains appearing.

Since two already approved drugs are used, I don't really see why they haven't already tested it in humans.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Aug '10 18:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My first thought was we might create a new much worse virus, but I now realize that that is not likely. HIV already mutates at a high rate and this wont really increase the likelihood of worse strains appearing.

Since two already approved drugs are used, I don't really see why they haven't already tested it in humans.
    It looks like they just figured this one out. There are millions of two drug combinations!
  4. 21 Aug '10 19:01
    It looks like they just figured this one out. There are millions of two drug combinations!
    Yes but they seem to still have to do trials on animals. Are the drugs approved but known to be harmful, or is there a risk of interaction? Why can't they go ahead and try them out on AIDS patients?
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Aug '10 01:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes but they seem to still have to do trials on animals. Are the drugs approved but known to be harmful, or is there a risk of interaction? Why can't they go ahead and try them out on AIDS patients?
    I'm sure they will soon. What do the patients have to lose? If I had Aids and heard about this treatment, I would be knocking down their door for sure! It has already been way tested on humans, the only thing to do now is find out if they interact in a bad way at the dosage needed to kill the buggers.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    27 Aug '10 23:51
    This would make a great backstory for a superhero.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Aug '10 01:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    This would make a great backstory for a superhero.
    Like in, intrepid hero finds these drugs, dumps 1 million gallons of them into the water supplies of various cities, curing aids around the planet?
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    28 Aug '10 03:55
    Like in, intrepid hero finds these drugs, dumps 1 million gallons of them into the water supplies of various cities, curing aids around the planet?
    No, he gets superpowers via supermutating HIV virus. I mean if a radioactive spider can do it...
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Sep '10 14:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, he gets superpowers via supermutating HIV virus. I mean if a radioactive spider can do it...
    Ah, the old 'science experiment goes right for once' theme
  10. 07 Sep '10 04:41
    Ah, the old 'science experiment goes right for once' theme
    Science experiments creating superheros (usually by accident) is a very common theme.
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Sep '10 06:06
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Science experiments creating superheros (usually by accident) is a very common theme.
    Gee, what was that one or two that was just made a few years ago