1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 20:48
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-split-cycle-efficient-traditional-combustion.html

They separate the compression cycle from the combustion cycle using one piston for compression only and another for combustion. Lower emissions of NOX and CO2, more complete combustion, firing after top dead center, a great trick and combustion ratios of over 100 to 1!
  2. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 19:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-split-cycle-efficient-traditional-combustion.html

They separate the compression cycle from the combustion cycle using one piston for compression only and another for combustion. Lower emissions of NOX and CO2, more complete combustion, firing after top dead center, a great trick and combustion ratios of over 100 to 1!
    I don't know why having a separate chamber would make any difference.

You could make a compression ratio of 100 for any engine if you are willing to modify it enough and use a modified fuel.
    I would think diesel or regular unleaded fuel would be unstable at that compression anyway, since a diesel engine only compresses up to 20 and it autoignites.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 20:50
    Originally posted by mlprior
    I don't know why having a separate chamber would make any difference.

You could make a compression ratio of 100 for any engine if you are willing to modify it enough and use a modified fuel.
    I would think diesel or regular unleaded fuel would be unstable at that compression anyway, since a diesel engine only compresses up to 20 and it autoignites.
    What makes 100 to 1 possible is compression and injection happens with a lot more turbulence and mixes a lot faster and ignition after top dead center. Did you read the article or look at the video's?
  4. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 05:001 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What makes 100 to 1 possible is compression and injection happens with a lot more turbulence and mixes a lot faster and ignition after top dead center. Did you read the article or look at the video's?
    Neither....too busy.

😞

Sorry.

Just spewing out what I know about autoignition of hydrocarbons and I do know that compressing a parafin 100X would surely cause it to autoignite. Sounds like a very dangerous situation.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 03:24
    Originally posted by mlprior
    Neither....too busy.

😞

Sorry.

Just spewing out what I know about autoignition of hydrocarbons and I do know that compressing a parafin 100X would surely cause it to autoignite. Sounds like a very dangerous situation.
    100 X compression would be 1470 psi, I don't think they actually get that high. They are talking about 2.5 bar which would be under 40 psi. Not sure where they get that 100X from. They used a figure of 1.5 bar as the pressure usually used in a supercharger or blower.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree