New Horizons phones home, at Ultima Thule.

New Horizons phones home, at Ultima Thule.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Jan 19

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-healthy-spacecraft-nasa-historic-flyby.html

First good news from NASA to kick start 2019.

w

Moves
02 Jan 19

@sonhouse said
https://phys.org/news/2019-01-healthy-spacecraft-nasa-historic-flyby.html

First good news from NASA to kick start 2019.
did you see the photo? It looks like a blurry eggplant. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/01/ultima-thule-flyby-new-horizons/579244/

We should be launching hundreds of these probes.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Jan 19

@wildgrass said
did you see the photo? It looks like a blurry eggplant. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/01/ultima-thule-flyby-new-horizons/579244/

We should be launching hundreds of these probes.
I can only assume you are coming from it sarcastically. That photo, if you had dug into it just a bit, was taken from 1 million miles away. It passed at around 2000 miles at closest approach and the bit rate is only 500 bits per second at 5 odd billion miles away, a decent rate considering the signal is coming in at minus 190 Dbm.
So take your sarcasm elsewhere.

w

Moves
05 Jan 19

@sonhouse said
I can only assume you are coming from it sarcastically. That photo, if you had dug into it just a bit, was taken from 1 million miles away. It passed at around 2000 miles at closest approach and the bit rate is only 500 bits per second at 5 odd billion miles away, a decent rate considering the signal is coming in at minus 190 Dbm.
So take your sarcasm elsewhere.
It would be pretty amazing if there was a real eggplant floating around in space 3 billion miles away.

Yes I was being slightly sarcastic. I understand the immense technical achievement, of course, but it highlights how incremental our extraterrestrial discoveries are without well-funded space exploration programs.

If I was old enough to gamble in 1989, I would have bet money that in 30 years we would have at least a few people living on the moon.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Jan 19

Back then the moon landings were considered a stunt that beat the Soviets to the punch and after we proved that point the politicians lost interest, a big mistake as it turns out. We COULD have had colonies on the moon way before now if the pinheads in government realized what we really had done.

I believe Nixon was quoted as saying we don't need that sci fi stuff anyway.

Smart guy.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Jan 19

@sonhouse said
Back then the moon landings were considered a stunt that beat the Soviets to the punch and after we proved that point the politicians lost interest, a big mistake as it turns out. We COULD have had colonies on the moon way before now if the pinheads in government realized what we really had done.

I believe Nixon was quoted as saying we don't need that sci fi stuff anyway.

Smart guy.
...and now China is the first in the world to grow plants on the moon.

Well done!

w

Moves
17 Jan 19

@ponderable said
...and now China is the first in the world to grow plants on the moon.

Well done!
Jeff Bezos should team up with Elon Musk to get one of those giant Amazon warehouses up there. There'd be a self-sustaining community in no time.

h

Moves
18 Jan 19
5 edits

@sonhouse said
a big mistake as it turns out. We COULD have had colonies on the moon way before now
But wouldn't that be a huge waste of time money and resources that could be much better spent on other things?
And why would any sane person want and choose to permanently live in what is in effect a baron hostile desert far FAR worse than Death valley, which AT LEAST has a breathable atmosphere, as compared to staying in the relative paradise of planet Earth? -I think that would just attract the nutters.

w

Moves
19 Jan 19

@humy said
But wouldn't that be a huge waste of time money and resources that could be much better spent on other things?
And why would any sane person want and choose to permanently live in what is in effect a baron hostile desert far FAR worse than Death valley, which AT LEAST has a breathable atmosphere, as compared to staying in the relative paradise of planet Earth? -I think that would just attract the nutters.
I think it would attract scientists.

People spend months to years in the ISS. People spend years on Antarctica. Are they insane?