1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 22:002 edits
    When I listed the assumption that light travels, which seems to be a very good assumption. However, some say light travels in waves like sound and others say light travels in particles. A person on Youtube brought up the question, "Does Light Travel?" See the video here:

YouTube

What is Light?

YouTube

This all reminds me of the television picture tube. Do you guys know how a televisoin picture tube works?

The Instructor
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 01:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    When I listed the assumption that light travels, which seems to be a very good assumption. However, some say light travels in waves like sound and others say light travels in particles. A person on Youtube brought up the question, "Does Light Travel?" See the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-wcyeS39s

What is Light?

http://www.youtube ...[text shortened]... evision picture tube. Do you guys know how a televisoin picture tube works?

The Instructor
    I'm old enough to have had a monitor which had warnings about the X-rays it emitted on it. There's nothing like a cathode ray tube...

PS I posted in numerous threads today, but since then have been celebrating turning 42. A significant age for me. As a result of this I am plastered and shouldn't try to debate. I will attempt to respond to the post you made in my consolidation thread when I've sobered up enough to make some real sense. g'night.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 08:41
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm old enough to have had a monitor which had warnings about the X-rays it emitted on it. There's nothing like a cathode ray tube...

PS I posted in numerous threads today, but since then have been celebrating turning 42. A significant age for me. As a result of this I am plastered and shouldn't try to debate. I will attempt to respond to the pos ...[text shortened]... e in my consolidation thread when I've sobered up enough to make some real sense. g'night.
    Yeah, the CRT. You at least know the proper name for it. Congratulations. I am not up on how these new ones work. I am from that old school where the CRT ruled.

The Instructor
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 17:01
    Yeah, the CRT. You at least know the proper name for it. Congratulations. I am not up on how these new ones work. I am from that old school where the CRT ruled.

The Instructor
    I have a couple of machines at work that still use the CRT. Have both at work still. Even still have a working CRT TV at home. Looking to get an LED set to fit in a 35 inch space.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 21:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have a couple of machines at work that still use the CRT. Have both at work still. Even still have a working CRT TV at home. Looking to get an LED set to fit in a 35 inch space.
    I had an working oscilloscope until I moved to a new house a couple years ago. A couple of my sons where helping me and I thought we had moved everything I wanted to keep, so I told them to throw everything else out. Now, I remember the oscilloscope. It doesn't matter, I don't plan on repairing any electronics again anyway, since I am retired for good.

The Instructor
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 14:59
    I had an working oscilloscope until I moved to a new house a couple years ago. A couple of my sons where helping me and I thought we had moved everything I wanted to keep, so I told them to throw everything else out. Now, I remember the oscilloscope. It doesn't matter, I don't plan on repairing any electronics again anyway, since I am retired for good.

The Instructor
    I was driving on the canal road in Walnutport near my town and something made me stop and back up, had no idea why. So I back up and spy a yard sale but under the table was a tektronix oscilloscope, model 2230. So went up to the guy and asked (first fake ignorance) What is it? He says he had a tv repair shop and retired and was getting rid of it. I asked how much, he says 75 bucks. So I go, how about 50? Ok, he says. I quietly got out 50 bucks and as I am putting it in my car, I go YES! I am actually using that scope at work as we speak.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 15:52
    I was driving on the canal road in Walnutport near my town and something made me stop and back up, had no idea why. So I back up and spy a yard sale but under the table was a tektronix oscilloscope, model 2230. So went up to the guy and asked (first fake ignorance) What is it? He says he had a tv repair shop and retired and was getting rid of it. I asked ho ...[text shortened]... and as I am putting it in my car, I go YES! I am actually using that scope at work as we speak.
    Well, I am glad you still feel like working and hope you remain in good health for years to come.

The Instructor
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 18:50
    Well, I am glad you still feel like working and hope you remain in good health for years to come.

The Instructor
    Not exactly FEELING like working. But it works out better that way since it allows me to keep my house.
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 21:01
    I think we can safely say that whoever wrote that paper was not around 4 billion years ago to observe anything and is only concocting a grand fairy tale and calling it science to make fools of those people who will fall for it.

The instructor
    Advocates of a young earth and an old earth are equally religious.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 21:03
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Advocates of a young earth and an old earth are equally religious.
    Advocates of green grass and purple grass are equally religious.
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '13 21:10
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Advocates of green grass and purple grass are equally religious.
    If an Asp in the grass is a snake, then why is a grasp in the ass a goose?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Aug '13 01:161 edit
    Not exactly FEELING like working. But it works out better that way since it allows me to keep my house.
    Have you seen those advertisements for Reverse Mortgage? That might be worth checking out. It says you can keep your house, get a little extra cash coming in each month, and enjoy your retirement. Sound good?

The Instructor
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '13 14:26
    Have you seen those advertisements for Reverse Mortgage? That might be worth checking out. It says you can keep your house, get a little extra cash coming in each month, and enjoy your retirement. Sound good?

The Instructor
    No, it cost's me about 5000 a month to live. Too many bills. I don't have credit cards, only house and car payments but food, TV, internet, phones, gas, electricity, water, sewer, garbage pickup, car insurance, AARP insurance for wife, gas to get to work, car inspections, all adds up to about $4000 a month before I can even buy a hamburger.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Aug '13 15:243 edits
    No, it cost's me about 5000 a month to live. Too many bills. I don't have credit cards, only house and car payments but food, TV, internet, phones, gas, electricity, water, sewer, garbage pickup, car insurance, AARP insurance for wife, gas to get to work, car inspections, all adds up to about $4000 a month before I can even buy a hamburger.
    I suppose you and your wife are already drawing Social Security Retirement. But don't you have an IRA or retirement benefits from your job that you could bring in extra retirement income? If you still have mortgage payments then this reverse mortgage thing may not help.

P.S. I just added up our retirement income and it is $5,357 per month, but our cars are payed off right now. However, I think we still spend at least $4,000 a month too.

The Instructor
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '13 16:03
    I suppose you and your wife are already drawing Social Security Retirement. But don't you have an IRA or retirement benefits from your job that you could bring in extra retirement income? If you still have mortgage payments then this reverse mortgage thing may not help.

P.S. I just added up our retirement income and it is $5,357 per month, but our cars ...[text shortened]... off right now. However, I think we still spend at least $4,000 a month too.

The Instructor
    I lost $250,000 in a retirement 401K fund that I had no control over, it fell to nearly zero in '98. So I am back in the job market, barely making 77K WITH my SS coming in. It is barely keeping me afloat.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree