1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 09:531 edit
    http://phys.org/news/2012-12-kind-magnetism-quantum-liquid.html

they say it could help with research into high-temperature superconductivity but don't explain how so.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 11:03
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2012-12-kind-magnetism-quantum-liquid.html

they say it could help with research into high-temperature superconductivity but don't explain how so.
    Weird, magnetism governed by brownian movement. Not sure how that is going to turn into technology.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 22:03
    from the article
    The work could possibly lead to advances in data storage or communications, he says—perhaps using an exotic quantum phenomenon called long-range entanglement, in which two widely separated particles can instantaneously influence each other's states.

I know entanglement exists, but I thought it was theoretically impossible to use it to transfer information. Any message must be encoded, and without the encryption key the only random bits are received.

Or something. What do I know.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    from the article
    The work could possibly lead to advances in data storage or communications, he says—perhaps using an exotic quantum phenomenon called long-range entanglement, in which two widely separated particles can instantaneously influence each other's states.

I know entanglement exists, but I thought it was theoretically impo ...[text shortened]... without the encryption key the only random bits are received.

Or something. What do I know.
    but I thought it was theoretically impossible to use it to transfer information.

I think you remembered that almost right but you slightly miss-remember. That should be “its theoretically impossible to use it to transfer ( useful ) information over the speed of light
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 00:47
    but I thought it was theoretically impossible to use it to transfer information.

I think you remembered that almost right but you slightly miss-remember. That should be “its theoretically impossible to use it to transfer ( useful ) information over the speed of light

I get it now. The hope is this potential new tech could use entanglement to improve computing but without sending information faster than light.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree