Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 27 Oct '13 10:37 / 3 edits
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-monkey-purrs-cat-species-amazon.html


    I think it should be unimaginatively but appropriately named “purring monkey”.

    I tried searching the web for a video or at least a sound recording of that purring but so far had no luck.
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Oct '13 17:28
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-monkey-purrs-cat-species-amazon.html


    I think it should be unimaginatively but appropriately named “purring monkey”.

    I tried searching the web for a video or at least a sound recording of that purring but so far had no luck.
    I wonder what would happen if you put one of those purring monkeys in with a purring kitten?
  3. 28 Oct '13 18:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wonder what would happen if you put one of those purring monkeys in with a purring kitten?
    I bet they would like each others style.
  4. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    30 Oct '13 10:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wonder what would happen if you put one of those purring monkeys in with a purring kitten?
    You'd get a purring monkten, of course!

    -m.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Oct '13 12:47
    Originally posted by mikelom
    You'd get a purring monkten, of course!

    -m.
    Or a Kitmonk
  6. 30 Oct '13 14:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Or a Kitmonk
    or a pusskey ?
  7. 31 Oct '13 13:14
    Originally posted by humy
    or a pusskey ?
    This one, for sure.
  8. 01 Nov '13 04:29
    I know a woman who had a monkey as a pet. (The cat monkey talk got me going). According to her, having a monkey is like having 3 three-years-olds at the same time. The monkey could reach 'everything'. Since 1970 or so in Sweden we now have legislation against keeping monkeys as pets. I guess now you have to be a 'Michel Jacsson' to have one. Reason was because of decieces that could infect humans, travelling from monkeys to humans.

    I in general feel that this monkey is interesting since it has a unique behaviour and therefore could be quite distantly related to other monkeys, kind of a fossile, every one exept this one of specie-group 'monkeys that purrs' are now extinkt.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Nov '13 11:39
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    I know a woman who had a monkey as a pet. (The cat monkey talk got me going). According to her, having a monkey is like having 3 three-years-olds at the same time. The monkey could reach 'everything'. Since 1970 or so in Sweden we now have legislation against keeping monkeys as pets. I guess now you have to be a 'Michel Jacsson' to have one. Reason was ...[text shortened]... ind of a fossile, every one exept this one of specie-group 'monkeys that purrs' are now extinkt.
    My mom and dad had TWO monkey's, one a chimp and they had to get rid of it after it got to age 4 I think, it started getting violent. Then they got a capucin (Sp)? and they also had a parrot. The monkey found the parrot on the floor and even though it was leashed it had enough rope to get to the bird and removed every feather from the bird's body. The bird died soon after, never getting over the trauma and shock.

    That convinced me never to have those awful creatures in my house. I opted for children instead Mistake?
  10. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    03 Nov '13 19:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My mom and dad had TWO monkey's, one a chimp and they had to get rid of it after it got to age 4 I think, it started getting violent. Then they got a capucin (Sp)? and they also had a parrot. The monkey found the parrot on the floor and even though it was leashed it had enough rope to get to the bird and removed every feather from the bird's body. The bird ...[text shortened]... ed me never to have those awful creatures in my house. I opted for children instead Mistake?
    And you claim them for your relatives. Ha.

    The Instructor