19 Apr '19 19:31
    https://phys.org/news/2014-12-quantum-physics-complicated.html

Every year we get a bit closer to TOE.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 11:31
    What new understanding? It makes this statement:

"They found that 'wave-particle duality' is simply the quantum 'uncertainty principle' in disguise, reducing two mysteries to one. "

I didn't notice any explanation that provided any new understanding of wave/particle duality. Did you?

Perhaps I overlooked something, but it looks like they didn't explain anything new and interjected meaningless jargon to hide it.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 15:21
    @metal-brain said

Perhaps I overlooked something,
    Yes, you certainly have. You overlooked the fact that there are people much smarter than me or you and that know things about quantum mechanics much better than me or you, especially you. Thus it is no surprise you don't understand it; it's not because it is nonsense, because it isn't, but rather because it's too difficult for you to understand. I confess I only half-understand it but at least that's far better than both completely not understanding it (no shame in that) but having the delusional arrogance to think that must mean it is nonsense (shame in that).
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 15:27
    @sonhouse said
    https://phys.org/news/2014-12-quantum-physics-complicated.html
    Not sure if this link's subject matter should be labelled as being in the category of 'science' or 'philosophy' or both. Any opinions on that?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 18:34
    @humy said
    Yes, you certainly have. You overlooked the fact that there are people much smarter than me or you and that know things about quantum mechanics much better than me or you, especially you. Thus it is no surprise you don't understand it; it's not because it is nonsense, because it isn't, but rather because it's too difficult for you to understand. I confess I only half-understand ...[text shortened]... in that) but having the delusional arrogance to think that must mean it is nonsense (shame in that).
    Yet you offer no explanation. Do you always assume people who use jargon know what they are talking about?

https://collegeinfogeek.com/feynman-technique/
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 07:22
    @humy said
    Yes, you certainly have. You overlooked the fact that there are people much smarter than me or you and that know things about quantum mechanics much better than me or you, especially you. Thus it is no surprise you don't understand it; it's not because it is nonsense, because it isn't, but rather because it's too difficult for you to understand.
    And yet, in this case, because he goes the other way, Metal Brain is right. It's not nonsense because it's too hard, and MB doesn't claim that. What he said is that it's too trivial and already well-known, so it's not worth making a fuss about.
    Well, it was, and it's not, and he's right about that. But trust phyzzog to make a mountain out of someone else's molehill in the secure knowledge that people who don't inderstand science as well as they think thet do confuse them for a credible source of news. I'd call them the Asylum of science publishing, but at least The Asylum does write its own sludge-level material. All Phyzzog does is copy press releases - often, as here, badly.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 11:54
    @shallow-blue said
    What he said is that it's too trivial and already well-known,
    -but it isn't "well-known" by him so he is in no position to judge if it is trivial even if we are and if it is.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '19 12:58
    @humy said
    -but it isn't "well-known" by him so he is in no position to judge if it is trivial even if we are and if it is.
    I know meaningless jargon when I see it. You need to as well. How will you excel if you can't distinguish meaningful contributions from meaningless jargon?

Richard Feynman knew even very educated people will hide what they don't know with jargon. Sometimes smart people will do that to hide the fact that the funding they received didn't give meaningful results. Even smart people try to hide their blunders. Scientists are human too.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 13:23
    @metal-brain said
    I know meaningless jargon when I see it. You need to as well. How will you excel if you can't distinguish meaningful contributions from meaningless jargon?

Richard Feynman knew even very educated people will hide what they don't know with jargon. Sometimes smart people will do that to hide the fact that the funding they received didn't give meaningful results. Even smart people try to hide their blunders. Scientists are human too.
    One thing for sure. You are not Feynman and never will be even CLOSE.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 14:35
    @sonhouse said
    So you will not defend the article as meaningful either. I'm not surprised.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '19 19:38
    @sonhouse said
    And you're no Jack Kennedy yourself, boyo.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Apr '19 22:07
    @shallow-blue said
    And yet, in this case, because he goes the other way, Metal Brain is right. It's not nonsense because it's too hard, and MB doesn't claim that. What he said is that it's too trivial and already well-known, so it's not worth making a fuss about.
    Well, it was, and it's not, and he's right about that. But trust phyzzog to make a mountain out of someone else's molehill in t ...[text shortened]... rite its own sludge-level material. All Phyzzog does is copy press releases - often, as here, badly.
    I took a look at the original paper [1], the claim is that the entropic uncertainty principle (EUP), defined in terms of information entropy rather than standard deviations as is Heisenberg's, is related to Wave Particle Duality Relations (WDPRs). So phys.org is correctly reporting the claims in the paper.

The paper itself is 25 pages long so I haven't finished it, but by coincidence the introductory paragraph finishes with a quote of Feynman. According to the introduction the equivalence of EUP and WPDR is controversial and they claim to have shown that they are equivalent. This is what I'd have guessed anyway since if there is no uncertainty relation it is difficult to see how there can be any wave particle duality.

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.4687.pdf
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '19 13:14
    @deepthought said
    I took a look at the original paper [1], the claim is that the entropic uncertainty principle (EUP), defined in terms of information entropy rather than standard deviations as is Heisenberg's, is related to Wave Particle Duality Relations (WDPRs). So phys.org is correctly reporting the claims in the paper.

The paper itself is 25 pages long so I haven't finished it, bu ...[text shortened]... ficult to see how there can be any wave particle duality.

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.4687.pdf
    So like he said, just another worthless BS article😉
  14. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    27 Apr '19 13:42
    @humy
    thanks, now I understand

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree