1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 13:26
    Anti matter used as fule, it is only anti protons, is it not? There is no point to store positrons of the same reason, is it?

When is a gamma photon emmitted? When a anti proton comes in contact with a ordinary proton, or is it enough to come sufficiently close? Is it only one photon emmitted or is it a burst of gamma photons?

If we have anti hydrogene, colliding with an ordinary hydrogene atom. With atom, I now mean the nucleus and its electron. When is it dangerously near eachother, when the electrons (one plus and one minus) come close to eachother? or when they actually touch eachother? Because an electron is more like a wave, or a smeard kind of orbital or something...

Can you, googlefudge, or any other initiated fellow, please explain these kind of questions...?
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 13:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Anti matter used as fule, it is only anti protons, is it not? There is no point to store positrons of the same reason, is it?

When is a gamma photon emmitted? When a anti proton comes in contact with a ordinary proton, or is it enough to come sufficiently close? Is it only one photon emmitted or is it a burst of gamma photons?

If we have anti hydrog ...[text shortened]...
    Can you, googlefudge, or any other initiated fellow, please explain these kind of questions...?
    Photons aren't antimatter. Antimatter can be one of several things: positrons, negatrons, charged neutrons, etc. Considering the explosions that happen when matter and antimatter meet, an antimatter fuel source would be AWESOME!! 😀
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 13:452 edits
    When an antimatter (AM) particle collides with its normal matter (M) twin (positron plus electron say) they mutually annihilate each other releasing energy equivalent to their combined mass multiplied by light speed squared plus their combined kinetic energies. Thus proton~antiproton (negatron) annihilation releases more energy than positron~electron annihilation as nucleons are MUCH heaver than electrons.

However we are unlikely to find/produce significant amounts of AM for power production and It has nothing to do with nuclear fusion.

edit: the annihilation happens on collision (there is a substance called positronium where an electron and a positron are orbiting each other, but it's unstable and they rapidly collapse in on one another and annihilate.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 13:59
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    When an antimatter (AM) particle collides with its normal matter (M) twin (positron plus electron say) they mutually annihilate each other releasing energy equivalent to their combined mass multiplied by light speed squared plus their combined kinetic energies. Thus proton~antiproton (negatron) annihilation releases more energy than positron~electron ann ...[text shortened]... rapidly collapse in on one another and annihilate.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
    Listen to the Klingon, Fabian.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 14:05
    Yeah, that really shouldn't be there, but I would have to pay to sign up again to remove it, and I just can't be bothered. ;-)
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 14:08
    Yeah, that really shouldn't be there, but I would have to pay to sign up again to remove it, and I just can't be bothered. ;-)
    You can put a title in without subscribing?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 14:13
    nope, and more to the point I can't remove the old one.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 15:39
    nope, and more to the point I can't remove the old one.
    Aaaahhh.

You subscribed, put in the title, then when your subscription expired the title stayed there.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 15:41
    YEP right in one... well sort of :-)
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 22:05
    Why can't matter and anti-matter stand eachother? Why this violent reaction?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 08:131 edit
    Why can't matter and anti-matter stand eachother? Why this violent reaction?
    Think of them as a Baptist fundamentalist and Al Quida stuck in the same room with locked doors.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 08:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Think of them as a Baptist fundamentalist and Al Quida stuck in the same room with locked doors.
    Who of them has the big bomb?
    Sorry for that joke.

Still, why can't they, the proton and the an-protone, just fuse into two neutrons or something?
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 09:05
    Who of them has the big bomb?
    Sorry for that joke.

Still, why can't they, the proton and the an-protone, just fuse into two neutrons or something?
    I don’t really know why matter and anti-matter annihilate each other when they meet but I can tell you why they don’t form any particles with mass (like neutrons etc) when they meet; it is because if equal quantities of matter and anti-matter meet, ALL the mass in both the matter and the anti-matter is converted to pure energy according to E = mc^2. Therefore, there is no mass left over by the reaction to form neutrons etc.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 09:32
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I don’t really know why matter and anti-matter annihilate each other when they meet but I can tell you why they don’t form any particles with mass (like neutrons etc) when they meet; it is because if equal quantities of matter and anti-matter meet, ALL the mass in both the matter and the anti-matter is converted to pure energy according to E = mc^2. Therefore, there is no mass left over by the reaction to form neutrons etc.
    When an electron and a proton, like in the heavy pressures in neutron stars, they just fuse and is converted to an neutron, nothing more to it.
    But a anti-proton and a normal proton, violently things happens.
    I know it does, but I don't know why.
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 10:112 edits
    When an electron and a proton, like in the heavy pressures in neutron stars, they just fuse and is converted to an neutron, nothing more to it.
    But a anti-proton and a normal proton, violently things happens.
    I know it does, but I don't know why.
    Well, I can give you half of the answer to that: I don’t know WHY when equal quantities of matter and anti-matter meet, all the mass in both the matter and the anti-matter is converted to pure energy according to E = mc^2 but, given that all the mass is converted to energy and given the fact that, despite the small masses of these tiny particles, so much energy gets released in one tiny spot that something “violent” is bound to happen there.

If a tonne of antimatter hit the earth, so much energy in the form of gamma radiation would be released that the local heating effect on the atmosphere alone would great a fireball that expands so rapidly that the shockwave from it would blow the Earth apart (at least I would guess so -I haven’t actually done the calculation).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree