Organic molecules found on another planet

Organic molecules found on another planet

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
27 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by dragonstarr369
they dont want you to know about life on other planets, especially the aliens who live amongst us! they dont want you to know who they are because they think they are superior. they have direct contact their celeltrial counterparts, so they dont care about nasa/nsa. they dont want the govt snooping around them and following them around.

hybrids are ...[text shortened]... n earth, unless to steal resources from us! what about the hybrids...they wont talk and we cant.
You are joking! ๐Ÿ˜€
...are you? ๐Ÿ˜•

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
27 Mar 08

Originally posted by Arrakis
*Note to moderator: I didn't want to say that the Roman church punished him (which is true) because if I had you would have moved my thread to the Spiritual forum again.
Technically, this is MY thread. ๐Ÿ˜›

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
27 Mar 08

they dont want you to know about life on other planets, especially the aliens who live amongst us! they dont want you to know who they are because they think they are superior. they have direct contact their celeltrial counterparts, so they dont care about nasa/nsa. they dont want the govt snooping around them and following them around.

hybrids are ...[text shortened]... n earth, unless to steal resources from us! what about the hybrids...they wont talk and we cant.
Ever see Terminator? The original? Go to the scene with the psychologist in the police station explaining to Sarah Connor his psychological assessment of her latest squeeze from the future and you'll know what I wanna say.

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
27 Mar 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
Thread 88348
Yeah, now if we combine the techniques of finding the organic molecules witht he techniques used to find rocky planets in the goldilocks zone we'll be getting somewhere!

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
27 Mar 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
You should have qualified that with "outside our solar system". There are other planets in our solar system with methane and that has been known for a long time.
That fact should make it unsurprising that other planetary systems contain planets with methane.
True, though one would hope that other people read the links before posting. The most interesting point is that it was from such a distance, should it be possible to downscale it, without the background star bleaching out the required data, it could be very useful.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
27 Mar 08

hey i think i saw that movie ..........the man who fell to earth, with david bowie? : )
we cant trust other people to think on our behalf so i form my own views. it is more rational to assume that there is life out there, rather than the other way around.

d

Moves
27 Mar 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You are joking! ๐Ÿ˜€
...are you? ๐Ÿ˜•
we're all telepathically controlled by aliens the less we kn ow, the easier it is for them to control us. if you don;t know they exist๐Ÿ˜ด then athey already control you and us

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Mar 08

we're all telepathically controlled by aliens the less we kn ow, the easier it is for them to control us. if you don;t know they exist๐Ÿ˜ด then athey already control you and us
Can you shut up now?

F

Moves
27 Mar 08

You're not joking?
Do you really believe this?

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
28 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You're not joking?
Do you really believe this?
oh no, dont start him off again ๐Ÿ˜ž
just check out The Man Who Fell To Earth movie

T

Moves
06 Apr 08

Originally posted by agryson
For the first time, organic molecules have been confirmed (along with water vapour) on another planet...

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13303
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ReD36TtoTRo
discuss...
Here's something interesting related to this thread:
I was on a research team about 20 years ago.Our goal was to find theoretical existing earth like planets with a higher probability of life on them from various distant stars in our galaxy.
Now,how on earth is this accomplished,especially if we only had only relatively amateur sized telescopes and spectrographic equip.?No floating telescopes in space,no large multimillion dollar scopes,ect.
My team and i plotted various class M stars(stars identical in size,age,surface temperature,radiation ect)compared to our sun.This is done with piggy backed spectrometry devices on the telescopes we owned.Mine was a 24 inch diameter reflector telescope.the scope was about 10 foot long.Now using special cameras and the spectroscope,we can identify through light analysis which stars are identical to our sun.Then,through long time lapse photography and open shutters on the camera,night after night we plotted which M like stars ALSO has a slight "wobble" to them as they rotated.Now what does this mean?Answer:Those 2 or 3 stars out of about 60 that we plotted,means that there was some kind of "external" pull on that star to cause it to wobble...like a solar system!yes,it could be a large bunch of astroids,but asteriods have much less of a gravametric pull than a solar system.Now,this all does not prove the existance of life with planets revolving around that star,and not even the space telescope has enough resolution to prove it,but the probabilty of life on a planet from a wobble star,especially on a class M star increases the probability a 1000 fold!Now the next step was to focus a radio telescope to those stars,but we never got that far,plus an answer would have taken a few hundred years!