1. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    19 Mar '08 20:371 edit
    For the first time, organic molecules have been confirmed (along with water vapour) on another planet...

    http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13303
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ReD36TtoTRo
    discuss...
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    19 Mar '08 22:00
    Interesting!

    I knew that there are organic molecules in interstellar clouds. Orion nebula is very rich in molecules of all kinds. But now in exo-planets? I say very interesting.

    Does the presence of organic molecules suggest life?
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    35068
    19 Mar '08 23:24
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Does the presence of organic molecules suggest life?
    I'd say it's more of a pre-requisite - but still interesting.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    20 Mar '08 03:17
    Most likely it's a bold statement based on some very questionable techniques with very doubtful or questionable data.
    It's very, very hard to detect planets, and now they're saying there's organic matter there?

    I don't doubt the possibility of existence of organic matter or even life in outerspace. But such statements must be confirmed by independent sources.
    Unfortunately astronomy has become very sensationalistic today, so I'm skeptic when some astronomer has claimed to have discovered gunpowder again.
  5. Joined
    16 Mar '08
    Moves
    575
    20 Mar '08 03:22
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

    Does the presence of organic molecules suggest life?
    Define "life".
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    20 Mar '08 05:14
    Originally posted by rookedpawn
    Define "life".
    Define 'define'. 😛
  7. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    20 Mar '08 06:561 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    Most likely it's a bold statement based on some very questionable techniques with very doubtful or questionable data.
    It's very, very hard to detect planets, and now they're saying there's organic matter there?

    I don't doubt the possibility of existence of organic matter or even life in outerspace. But such statements must be confirmed by independent s ...[text shortened]... today, so I'm skeptic when some astronomer has claimed to have discovered gunpowder again.
    The video explains the concept of spectrography for you. The links I provided were provided for a reason. They looked at a specific planet because its orbit brings it between us and its sun allowing spectrographic analysis of its atmosphere to be conducted, true, if this were not the case, it would ordinarily be very difficult if not impossible to have done this, but the video posted specifically addresses this question. The links provide all the necessary info.
    Furthermore, the research is being published in a forthcoming issue of Nature. The link at the bottom of the New Scientist article will go live once it's published and you can have a closer look at their methodology.
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    20 Mar '08 06:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Interesting!

    I knew that there are organic molecules in interstellar clouds. Orion nebula is very rich in molecules of all kinds. But now in exo-planets? I say very interesting.

    Does the presence of organic molecules suggest life?
    No, the planets orbit is 10% that of mercury's and surface temperatures are measured in the hundreds of degrees celsius. The process is very unlikely to be biological in nature. The links provided give more details on temperatures and liklihood of life etc.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    20 Mar '08 15:01
    Originally posted by agryson
    No, the planets orbit is 10% that of mercury's and surface temperatures are measured in the hundreds of degrees celsius. The process is very unlikely to be biological in nature. The links provided give more details on temperatures and liklihood of life etc.
    I think the idea is they know it's not likely to be from life but they now have the means to separate out organics hidden in the spectodata. Now they can concentrate more on real planets not fireballs. The other thing is, that planet is huge and it will take some new techniques to refine this test down to terrestrial analogues.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    20 Mar '08 15:09
    Originally posted by agryson
    The video explains the concept of spectrography for you. The links I provided were provided for a reason. They looked at a specific planet because its orbit brings it between us and its sun allowing spectrographic analysis of its atmosphere to be conducted, true, if this were not the case, it would ordinarily be very difficult if not impossible to have done ...[text shortened]... t article will go live once it's published and you can have a closer look at their methodology.
    interesting... i'll look into it with more detail when i have the time. I only read one article, which didn't convince me at first.
    What surprises me is the possibility of doing spectrographic analysis of a planet that far. We can hardly detect planets... and now there's enough light to make spectrography?... but I have to look into detail.

    We're not alone! 😀
  11. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Joined
    01 May '04
    Moves
    64653
    21 Mar '08 06:221 edit
    Originally posted by agryson
    For the first time, organic molecules have been confirmed (along with water vapour) on another planet...

    http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13303
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ReD36TtoTRo
    discuss...
    Interesting post. Did you notice when you watched the video that they said they didn't think the methane was from 'decomposing bodies'?
    Scientists have to be very careful the way they word their discoveries.

    Galileo was not so wise when announcing his discoveries and the ruling class* punished him for going against their existing beliefs.

    *Note to moderator: I didn't want to say that the Roman church punished him (which is true) because if I had you would have moved my thread to the Spiritual forum again.
  12. Joined
    27 Oct '07
    Moves
    928
    26 Mar '08 21:45
    Originally posted by serigado
    Most likely it's a bold statement based on some very questionable techniques with very doubtful or questionable data.
    It's very, very hard to detect planets, and now they're saying there's organic matter there?

    I don't doubt the possibility of existence of organic matter or even life in outerspace. But such statements must be confirmed by independent s ...[text shortened]... today, so I'm skeptic when some astronomer has claimed to have discovered gunpowder again.
    they dont want you to know about life on other planets, especially the aliens who live amongst us! they dont want you to know who they are because they think they are superior. they have direct contact their celeltrial counterparts, so they dont care about nasa/nsa. they dont want the govt snooping around them and following them around.

    hybrids are here. aliens tap into their dna activating their telepathic abilities so they can have direct contact with them, so they dont care if you dont believe. it wont stop their life because of our ignorance.

    they probably laugh at us because they have more time to advance than us.

    they control us by controlling the information we receive. all this stuff in science magazines is baby talk compared to the real information they have. theyre superior, so they completely ignore us. we arent mentally capable of understanding matters of complex reality as they.
    since they live on ships they can care less about govt snooping because they arent dependent on earth, unless to steal resources from us! what about the hybrids...they wont talk and we cant.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    27 Mar '08 03:14
    Originally posted by agryson
    For the first time, organic molecules have been confirmed (along with water vapour) on another planet...

    http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13303
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ReD36TtoTRo
    discuss...
    Thread 88348
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    27 Mar '08 10:01
    Originally posted by agryson
    For the first time, organic molecules have been confirmed (along with water vapour) on another planet...
    You should have qualified that with "outside our solar system". There are other planets in our solar system with methane and that has been known for a long time.
    That fact should make it unsurprising that other planetary systems contain planets with methane.
  15. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    27 Mar '08 10:04
    Originally posted by dragonstarr369
    they control us by controlling the information we receive. all this stuff in science magazines is baby talk compared to the real information they have. theyre superior, so they completely ignore us. we arent mentally capable of understanding matters of complex reality as they.
    Who are 'they'?
    And why do you care if you readily admit that you are mentally inferior and easily controlled? Why not just live with it?
Back to Top