1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 19:59
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Does the curvature of spacetime somehow cause Velocity ?

Does it cause energy to be exerted on the object with lesser mass ?

The diagrams I have repeatedly seen to demonstrate the curvature of spacetime around mass seem to still depend upon a concept of gravity. The orbiting object dips down into the indentation of the graph supposedly drawn to ass ...[text shortened]... acetime.

If you have any additional insight to make it clear to a layman, try again please.
    ….Does the curvature of space-time somehow cause Velocity ?

.…

Do you mean “acceleration” and not “velocity“? And are you referring to a falling object in 3D space? -if so, the answer to this question depends on the context of the frame of reference:
    for an inertial frame of reference ( http://www.complore.com/inertial-frame-reference ) the answer is yes -it is the downward acceleration due to gravity:
    but for an inertial frame of reference accelerating downwards at the exact magnitude of acceleration due to gravity, the answer is no!
    that’s why when you are in freefall you feel no acceleration!

….Does it cause energy to be exerted on the object with lesser mass ?
    ..…

Do you mean “force” and not “energy“?

…The diagrams I have repeatedly seen to demonstrate the curvature of spacetime around mass seem to still depend upon a concept of gravity..…

You really must understand that no analogy is perfect. That diagram is perhaps the best we can do for an analogy given the very extreme awkwardness of the concept it is supposed to represent because it is actually virtually impossible for our brains to directly visualise 4D curvature!
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    for an inertial frame of reference ( http://www.complore.com/inertial-frame-reference ) the answer is yes - it is the downward acceleration due to gravity:
    but for an inertial frame of reference accelerating downwards at the exact magnitude of acceleration due to gravity, the answer is no!
    that’s why when you are in freefall you feel no acceleration!
    You´ve put inertial frames for both cases. The interial frames of reference are the ones a free-falling observer sees. The non-freefalling frames of reference - like the one we are sitting in now - are the accelerated ones.
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 19:46
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    You´ve put inertial frames for both cases. The interial frames of reference are the ones a free-falling observer sees. The non-freefalling frames of reference - like the one we are sitting in now - are the accelerated ones.
    Yes -of course you are correct 🙂 -I stand corrected.
    I kind of somehow had got those two things back to front in my head.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 12:27
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    I was taught philosophy by a logician. He threw me out of his metaphysics exam for cheating: he accused me of looking into the soul of the girl beside me.
    And then?
    😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree