1. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 13:01
    I couldn't find any figures, but the reverse process, water purification, would tell us one maximum as whatever it takes to purify sea water must be more than what you can get out of the reverse otherwise you would have an infinite energy source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 15:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, the video clearly shows 1metre x 1metre.

I don't think inefficiency would result in heat, that's not the kind of inefficiency that would occur.

You may also find this interesting:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversed_electrodialysis

More important than the area of membrane is the amount of water required. My guess is the experimenters didn ...[text shortened]... h of river water and sea water. There is no way that can be done passed a membrane of just 1m^2.
    The amount of water pressure on that membrane would be enourmous I would think for that kind of flow. Just seems unlikely.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 15:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The amount of water pressure on that membrane would be enourmous I would think for that kind of flow. Just seems unlikely.
    Water pressure is a function of the pressure on either side so, no, pressure isn't the issue.
    The flow itself may cause stress, but that isn't pressure.
    The problem with high flow rates is the ions just get carried off instead of being used to create electricity.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 17:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Water pressure is a function of the pressure on either side so, no, pressure isn't the issue.
    The flow itself may cause stress, but that isn't pressure.
    The problem with high flow rates is the ions just get carried off instead of being used to create electricity.
    That would depend on how strongly the three layer atomic structure resists that effort. Does anyone know what kind of flow it would take to start carrying off bits of the structure?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree