Perspective

Standard memberRemoved
Science 18 Dec '08 03:44
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 03:441 edit
    I would like for us to post any topics that we may have come across that would involve a scaled perspective to greater appriciate.

for instance the concept of one billion

if you were to attempt to account to a billion (a modest number as far as numbers go) at a rate of 1 count per second, It would take around 40 years to reach your goal...😲

I think this will be pretty cool to see what other people will be able to put into perspective..have fun 🙂
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 05:22
    Eisenhower was president one billion seconds ago.
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 05:38
    "Keep in mind that atoms are extremely small. One hydrogen atom, for example, is approximately 5 x 10-8 mm in diameter. To put that in perspective, this dash - is approximately 1 mm in length, therefore it would take almost 20 million hydrogen atoms to make a line as long as the dash. In the sub-atomic world, things often behave a bit strangely. First of all, the electron actually spins very far from the nucleus. If we were to draw the hydrogen atom above to scale, so that the proton were the size depicted above, the electron would actually be spinning approximately 0.5 km (or about a quarter of a mile) away from the nucleus. In other words, if the proton was the size depicted above, the whole atom would be about the size of Giants Stadium."

http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~acarpi/NSC/3-atoms.htm
  4. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 06:123 edits
    Clip of James Randi on Homeopathy:
    YouTube

The "perspective" comparison of interest starts at about 11:30 of the video.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 07:06
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Eisenhower was president one billion seconds ago.
    was that as of his inauguration?🙂
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 19:16
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    was that as of his inauguration?🙂
    😀 Nope---1959.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 09:17
    I would like for us to post any topics that we may have come across that would involve a scaled perspective to greater appriciate.

if you were to attempt to account to a billion (a modest number as far as numbers go) at a rate of 1 count per second, It would take around 40 years to reach your goal...😲

I thin ...[text shortened]... s will be pretty cool to see what other people will be able to put into perspective..have fun 🙂
    Good thread.

Good Christmas morning to you all, if anyone is actually online at the moment! One perspective is, why am I online playing chess and posting on Christmas morning when I could be out jogging, or making my wife breafast in bed or starting the dinner preparations?

Another more on topic is:

I read once that if you lined up all the objects in the universe with the very smalest atom at on end and the bigest star at the other, then a human being would be exactly in the middle.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 10:35
    Originally posted by divegeester

I read once that if you lined up all the objects in the universe with the very smalest atom at on end and the bigest star at the other, then a human being would be exactly in the middle.
    Sounds like nonsense to me, although I guess you could adjust the meaning of "a different object" such that it is true.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 03:51
    If you were to use a computer to factor, by trial and error, a 401 digit number into 2 smaller numbers, it would take the world largest supercomputers more time than has past in the history of the universe to arrive at a solution
  10. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 19:05
    well this is actual off the topic a bit, this is about artistic perspective, i have a question, in the olden days when paintings were done with out perspective, where things in the background that were far away on the painting were different then they appeared in real life. i dont understand how do you paint and no see the difference or if they did not being to change it?
  11. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 08:17

I thin ...[text shortened]... s will be pretty cool to see what other people will be able to put into perspective..have fun 🙂
    If the sun were as large as a navel orange (55mm diameter), then the earth would be a tiny grain of sand (0.5mm) situated nearly 6 meters away.
  12. Shanghai
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 16:57
    This is of course taking billion to be 1000 million not a million million.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jan '09 01:15
    Putting humans in perspective, we are approximately halfway between the smallest particle we have so far discovered, the quark, and the largest scale, the size of the universe so there is stuff just as far away on the small side of humans as on the large side of humans.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree