Phoenix landed on north pole of mars!

Phoenix landed on north pole of mars!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
27 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Well, I tend to think it is most probable that the Earthly life has its origin on Earth.
I think it is most probable but not a 'sure thing'. Life appeared on earth soon after conditions were suitable for it. That gives a fairly narrow window for panspermia. It just seems more likely for the chance of biogenesis which had all the worlds oceans to play with than for life to survive a space journey to earth in that narrow window. But 'more likely' is not fact, and we really do not know enough to make accurate guesses. If life is found on mars and found to have existed there before earth that would obviously alter the equation. If it is subsequently found on various moons of Saturn and Jupiter then what?

F

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think it is most probable but not a 'sure thing'. Life appeared on earth soon after conditions were suitable for it. That gives a fairly narrow window for panspermia. It just seems more likely for the chance of biogenesis which had all the worlds oceans to play with than for life to survive a space journey to earth in that narrow window. But 'more likel ...[text shortened]... the equation. If it is subsequently found on various moons of Saturn and Jupiter then what?
I agree. We shouldn't rule out Panspermia theory.

*If* we find life on Mars, *and* if this life is DNA type, *then* we know that the two lifes is of the same origin. But we still don't know the place of origin - Earth, Mars, or elsewhere in the Solar System, or elsewhere in the Galaxy.

But until then... well...

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 08

Enormous! The Genisis is no longer correct!
Hardly, as Genesis is not intended to be a science book. Rather, it is a universal account of man's growing and evolving relationship with God, others and himself. But back to the religious implications. For me, the religious/ethical issue is 1) being in utter awe at the ingenuity that it took for that (landing a craft on Mars) to happen in the first place and 2) the utter desparation we have to simply get a bottle of water to someone on the other side of our own planet or much less dig someone out of the rubble in China.

We need to ponder these two realities more than the possibility of little green men. That is the bigger theological issue.

F

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
Hardly, as Genesis is not intended to be a science book. Rather, it is a universal account of man's growing and evolving relationship with God, others and himself. But back to the religious implications. For me, the religious/ethical issue is 1) being in utter awe at the ingenuity that it took for that (landing a craft on Mars) to happen in the first p ...[text shortened]... realities more than the possibility of little green men. That is the bigger theological issue.
The fundamentalist wing of the christian community does not agree with you.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 08

The fundamentalist wing of the christian community does not agree with you.
A theological giant like me could care less.

F

Moves
27 May 08

It's a known fact that christianity is not *one* religion. Most of them is dead wrong.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 May 08
2 edits

Hey cap'n Kirk, how do you think the religious community will respond if some microbes are found on mars?
I know we have lots of problems here on earth but there is still room for discussion about mars. For instance, there may be life under hidden oceans on some of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn, what implications would that have, say 100 years from now when or if we get out that far and actually find life there.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Hey cap'n Kirk, how do you think the religious community will respond if some microbes are found on mars?
I know we have lots of problems here on earth but there is still room for discussion about mars. For instance, there may be life under hidden oceans on some of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn, what implications would that have, say 100 years from now when or if we get out that far and actually find life there.
I don't think it will matter much to them as it would be hard to communicate a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ to a microbe.

Right now I am thinking more about a spirtual ethic to live on this planet as I am more than likely die on this one.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
27 May 08
1 edit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7399661.stm

If any life on Mars is found, it definitely is a God's creature.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 May 08

I don't think it will matter much to them as it would be hard to communicate a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ to a microbe.

Right now I am thinking more about a spirtual ethic to live on this planet as I am more than likely die on this one.
Did you see the video I posted? Science or spirituality, a good video?
You should watch it. Nobody seems interested in it but this incredible woman has real insights into the mind, she is a neuroscientist who had a left brain stroke about 10 years ago and wrote about the experience from the inside. Great video.

z

Moves
28 May 08

Did you see the video I posted? Science or spirituality, a good video?
You should watch it. Nobody seems interested in it but this incredible woman has real insights into the mind, she is a neuroscientist who had a left brain stroke about 10 years ago and wrote about the experience from the inside. Great video.
Post the link again, please. Sounds interesting.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 May 08

Originally posted by znsho
Post the link again, please. Sounds interesting.
Its right on the science forum, called Science or Spritual, a good video.

w

Moves
29 May 08
3 edits

Nasa was on pins and needles till the images started coming back, the landing went flawlessly, a week from now, after systems checks, they will dig into the hopefully icy soil and put the dirt in an analyzer to search for organics. Here is the link with the latest pictures:
http://fawkes4.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=0&cID=7
Great!! It should be interesting. I hear there is a lot of rock there to look at and take pictures of. 😛

Sorry, I just can't bear the thought of looking into the eyes of the NASA scientists as they analyze the Martian terrain for signs of life. I can just hear them now. "Strange, there was water here, there was earth like conditions here at one time.......NOW SHOW ME A FOSSILIZED MICROBE DANM YOU!!!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 May 08

I agree. We shouldn't rule out Panspermia theory.

*If* we find life on Mars, *and* if this life is DNA type, *then* we know that the two lifes is of the same origin. But we still don't know the place of origin - Earth, Mars, or elsewhere in the Solar System, or elsewhere in the Galaxy.

But until then... well...
I don't have a problem with DNA based life coming into existence in multiple places independently. If that's what chemicals naturally do, then they'll do it wherever they are.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 May 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I don't have a problem with DNA based life coming into existence in multiple places independently. If that's what chemicals naturally do, then they'll do it wherever they are.
Yeah, what sluts, they'll go out with ANYBODY!