Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Nov '08 13:41
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
    I think that is now the second one directly seen.
  2. 18 Nov '08 13:32
    I think that is really impressive, seeing the whole universe. But I get the feeling of helplesness watching the magnitude of the universe, yet stuck in this little planet without any way of exploring what's out there.

    Don't you agree?
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Nov '08 07:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dannyUchiha
    I think that is really impressive, seeing the whole universe. But I get the feeling of helplesness watching the magnitude of the universe, yet stuck in this little planet without any way of exploring what's out there.

    Don't you agree?
    Not anyway of exploring, we are working on that one too, don't forget, we have probes leaving the solar system as we speak, other probes on their way to Pluto as we speak, and of course Mars is sure getting a workover right now with the rovers, explorers, orbiters, and such, preparing the way for people to live there, maybe terraform it into a breathable atmosphere in a few hundred years. I think it's an exciting time for astronomy and space travel. Don't forget the International Space Station.
  4. 21 Nov '08 12:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Not anyway of exploring, we are working on that one too, don't forget, we have probes leaving the solar system as we speak, other probes on their way to Pluto as we speak, and of course Mars is sure getting a workover right now with the rovers, explorers, orbiters, and such, preparing the way for people to live there, maybe terraform it into a breathable at ...[text shortened]... n exciting time for astronomy and space travel. Don't forget the International Space Station.
    But still, compared to the size of the universe, almost everything is still pretty much unexplored
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Nov '08 07:51
    Originally posted by dannyUchiha
    But still, compared to the size of the universe, almost everything is still pretty much unexplored
    And will be a million years from now. It just means there is no end to the sense of wonder.