1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    14 May '08 03:00
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    My English grammar, however, was excellent, and having re-read my post, I believe "I thought" and "I had thought", I've determined that they are interchangeable and any implication is contrived.
    If you seriously think that simple past and past perfect are interchangeable and connote the same
    meaning, you're crazy. As evidence, I submit that both sonhouse and I both understood your
    post to mean that you thought that the platypus was evidence against evolution up until the point
    that you wrote the post rather than something you had once believed but have since discarded as
    seems to be the case.

Nemesio
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    14 May '08 03:51
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    If you seriously think that simple past and past perfect are interchangeable and connote the same
    meaning, you're crazy. As evidence, I submit that both sonhouse and I both understood your
    post to mean that you thought that the platypus was evidence against evolution up until the point
    that you wrote the post rather than something you had once believed but have since discarded as
    seems to be the case.

Nemesio
    Then both you and sonhouse both just happened to be wrong. Nothing to get uptight about--we all make mistakes. And Mr. sonhouse, being a bully, might be expected to have an IQ equal to a carrot. You, Mr. Nemesio, thought were above that--but alas, you resort to personal attacks and name calling. That does not make you a bully--it makes you uncouth.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 May '08 04:191 edit
    ...sonhouse... an IQ equal to a carrot.

You, Mr. Nemesio.... personal attacks and name calling. That ....makes you uncouth.
    You'd better toughen up if you're going to be here for very long.

Although, I think Nem and Sonhouse are probably overdoing it slightly, they are correct - it is our poor use of language which frequently has people talking past each other in this forum, and most debates in general.

[edit; pot ? Kettle? Anyone??]
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    14 May '08 16:36
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    You'd better toughen up if you're going to be here for very long.

Although, I think Nem and Sonhouse are probably overdoing it slightly, they are correct - it is our poor use of language which frequently has people talking past each other in this forum, and most debates in general.

[edit; pot ? Kettle? Anyone??]
    You seem like a civilized individual, and your points are well taken. I've "been around" for long enough, and will continue to call out those who, as you say, "overdo" it--I just prefer to be more precise and call rude, insulting behavior what it is. Messrs. Sonh and Nem seemed like decent folk at first, but it never takes long for bullies and boors to show their true colors. When they do, I find it necessary to point them out; simple as that.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 May '08 00:47
    Then both you and sonhouse both just happened to be wrong. Nothing to get uptight about--we all make mistakes.
    So it is your belief that simple past and past perfect connote the same thing?

Do you admit that this is a minority view?

Nemesio
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    15 May '08 14:33
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    So it is your belief that simple past and past perfect connote the same thing?

Do you admit that this is a minority view?

Nemesio
    I'm sorry, but I do not correspond with people who insult, berate or bully me--much as I WOULD like to answer your questions.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 May '08 00:01
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

[edit; pot ? Kettle? Anyone??][/b]
    The crack about son's IQ WAS out of line. Sometimes my hatred of bullies, the scourge of the planet, comes out in debates when I should stick with facts and not resort to emotional name-calling. Sorry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree