1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    16 Jan '10 16:58
    http://www.physorg.com/news182779099.html

    It seems the Dutch have learned how to turn pig stem cells into pure pork. I wonder if Jews can eat it now?
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    17 Jan '10 01:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.physorg.com/news182779099.html

    It seems the Dutch have learned how to turn pig stem cells into pure pork. I wonder if Jews can eat it now?
    PIG stem cells.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    17 Jan '10 14:171 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    PIG stem cells.
    A cell is not a pig, not even a stem cell. Pork meat from a stem cell cannot be unclean. Only pigs are, they say.

    But do I think they will agree? No. They will never enjoy a good Pata Negra. Even a synthetic one. Of religious reasons.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    17 Jan '10 22:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A cell is not a pig, not even a stem cell. Pork meat from a stem cell cannot be unclean. Only pigs are, they say.

    But do I think they will agree? No. They will never enjoy a good Pata Negra. Even a synthetic one. Of religious reasons.
    Pig stem cells means pig biology, which means the meat is more similar to human meat than most, and conducts disease better.

    Of course the disease would have little chance to get in there...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    17 Jan '10 23:24
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A cell is not a pig, not even a stem cell. Pork meat from a stem cell cannot be unclean. Only pigs are, they say.

    But do I think they will agree? No. They will never enjoy a good Pata Negra. Even a synthetic one. Of religious reasons.
    I talked to a friend in New Zealand today and mentioned this, she is Jewish, she said Jews couldn't eat it because it was pig DNA. I think that was just a gut reaction but I wonder what the wider Jewish world would think.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    18 Jan '10 03:062 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I talked to a friend in New Zealand today and mentioned this, she is Jewish, she said Jews couldn't eat it because it was pig DNA. I think that was just a gut reaction but I wonder what the wider Jewish world would think.
    I'm sure they'd agree, unless they eat pork already like most of the (non-practicing, obviously) Jews I've known did.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Jan '10 09:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Pig stem cells means pig biology, which means the meat is more similar to human meat than most, and conducts disease better.

    Of course the disease would have little chance to get in there...
    You mean that some don't eat pork because it's close to cannibalism?
    Never thought of it that way...
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Jan '10 09:542 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I talked to a friend in New Zealand today and mentioned this, she is Jewish, she said Jews couldn't eat it because it was pig DNA. I think that was just a gut reaction but I wonder what the wider Jewish world would think.
    Piggish DNA doesn't differ much from any other DNA. Made of sugar molecules and amino acids and such. It's its order that defines that a certain DNA comes from pig, nothing else.
    But I don't think we eat meat only because it's contents of DNA.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    2100
    18 Jan '10 10:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Pig stem cells means pig biology, which means the meat is more similar to human meat than most, and conducts disease better.

    Of course the disease would have little chance to get in there...
    The pig genome, like the human genome, is already riddled with various viral elements like retrotransposons and it is unclear if they might mobilise in a human host or worse again transmit to the germ line. This has lead to a great deal of caution about xenotransplantation where pig organs with humanised antigens might help solve the shortage of human organs for transplant operations.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    18 Jan '10 11:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I talked to a friend in New Zealand today and mentioned this, she is Jewish, she said Jews couldn't eat it because it was pig DNA. I think that was just a gut reaction but I wonder what the wider Jewish world would think.
    It definitely could be something like the gadgets some Jewish people use to get around the Sabbath restrictions.
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    18 Jan '10 11:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You mean that some don't eat pork because it's close to cannibalism?
    Never thought of it that way...
    No, because pigs transmit diseases to humans like trichonosis (is that the right word?) and influenza.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Jan '10 12:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, because pigs transmit diseases to humans like trichonosis (is that the right word?) and influenza.
    I eat pork and I've never been sick? Of that reason?
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    18 Jan '10 13:39
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I eat pork and I've never been sick? Of that reason?
    Because pork in first world countries is carefully kept free of disease.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Jan '10 13:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Because pork in first world countries is carefully kept free of disease.
    Does this mean that jews in the 1st world can eat as much pork as they want?
    And the rules of the old testament is not relevant today, because they have problem eating pork, and we don't?

    Back to topic...

    I don't think artificially grown pork will be specifically tasty. The constistence like fungus, and the taste like plastic? And for now it is *very* expensive.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Jan '10 16:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Piggish DNA doesn't differ much from any other DNA. Made of sugar molecules and amino acids and such. It's its order that defines that a certain DNA comes from pig, nothing else.
    But I don't think we eat meat only because it's contents of DNA.
    I actually brought up that same point. I think it goes beyond scientific arguments after that. There was an interesting unreasoning objection based purely on religious law.
Back to Top