1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 20:42
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Does this mean that jews in the 1st world can eat as much pork as they want?
    And the rules of the old testament is not relevant today, because they have problem eating pork, and we don't?

Back to topic...

I don't think artificially grown pork will be specifically tasty. The constistence like fungus, and the taste like plastic? And for now it is *very* expensive.
    I think many of the rules of the Old Testament are not relevant today, but many Jews observe them out of a sense of tradition, culture or ignorance.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 00:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 00:413 edits
    Does this mean that jews in the 1st world can eat as much pork as they want?
    And the rules of the old testament is not relevant today, because they have problem eating pork, and we don't?

Back to topic...

I don't think artificially grown pork will be specifically tasty. The constistence like fungus, and the taste like plastic? And for now it is *very* expensive.
    I think if the deep pocket food companies like a Kraft decides petri dish is the next big thing, that is to say, they will MAKE it into the next big thing, and pump a couple hundred million into it, in 5 years you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between flesh pork and petri pork.

For instance, they have the cloning of pork muscle down now, but of course that is not the whole story, you have to incorporate fat, nerve tissue, tendons, connective tissue, etc., and each one would have its own DNA needing cloning. I have no doubt whatsoever they could do it if properly motivated, like the CEO says, here is 200 million, run with it and in 5 years I want to see a petri pork slab that tastes the same and has the same texture as flesh pork.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 10:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think if the deep pocket food companies like a Kraft decides petri dish is the next big thing, that is to say, they will MAKE it into the next big thing, and pump a couple hundred million into it, in 5 years you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between flesh pork and petri pork.

For instance, they have the cloning of pork muscle down now, b ...[text shortened]... ars I want to see a petri pork slab that tastes the same and has the same texture as flesh pork.
    I think it will eventually be coming. But how it will be taken from the public is still there to debate. I think there will be much of resistance. But the industy will accept it rather quick. So we consumers will have in on our sandwiches, in fast foods, hot dogs, etc, no matter if we want or not.

But to have a artificial prosciotto? No, I don't think so.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 04:38
    I think it will eventually be coming. But how it will be taken from the public is still there to debate. I think there will be much of resistance. But the industy will accept it rather quick. So we consumers will have in on our sandwiches, in fast foods, hot dogs, etc, no matter if we want or not.

But to have a artificial prosciotto? No, I don't think so.
    Well look at Spam, the food spam🙂, the national food of Hawaii, South Korea and the Phillippines.
    I bet a vat bred pork would first come in dressed up something like spam.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree