1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 May '14 16:53
    I just found this. It's old, so I suspect many of you have seen it, but none the less I thought I'd share it with you. This episode in particular was interesting to me:

3 - The Origin of Life Made Easy: YouTube
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 May '14 17:44
    Originally posted by C Hess
    I just found this. It's old, so I suspect many of you have seen it, but none the less I thought I'd share it with you. This episode in particular was interesting to me:

3 - The Origin of Life Made Easy: http://youtu.be/v8nYTJf62sE
    I have just watched it and I think it is a great plain-English explanation of the issue for the layperson who doesn't know about the science and it even said something about it I didn't already know (the bit about that type of clay that helps polymerizes chemicals. Anyone; how do you spell that name of that stuff? I tried googling it but couldn't find it because I couldn't get the right spelling of it )
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    09 May '14 19:511 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    I have just watched it and I think it is a great plain-English explanation of the issue for the layperson who doesn't know about the science and it even said something about it I didn't already know (the bit about that type of clay that helps polymerizes chemicals. Anyone; how do you spell that name of that stuff? I tried googling it but couldn't find it because I couldn't get the right spelling of it )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

😏

If the chemical process can happen on its own, why would God intervene at all?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 May '14 20:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 May '14 20:211 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

😏

thanks for that. Now I can study it properly. Already noticed it has a very complex chemical formula ( (Na,Ca)0.33(Al,Mg)2(Si4O10)(OH)2·nH2O. )

I have just noticed this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

"...James Ferris's studies have shown that clay minerals of montmorillonite will catalyze the formation of RNA in aqueous solution, by joining activated mono RNA nucleotides to join together to form longer chains.[108] Although these chains have random sequences, the possibility that one sequence began to non-randomly increase its frequency by increasing the speed of its catalysis is possible to "kick start" biochemical evolution.

Scientists discovered in 2002 that by adding a montmorillonite clay to a solution of fatty acid micelles (lipid spheres), the clay sped up the rate of vesicles formation 100-fold.[112] So this one mineral can get precursors (nucleotides) to spontaneously assemble into RNA and membrane precursors to assemble into membrane...."
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 May '14 20:55
    I also liked the last line:

Ultimately, this isn't a guessing game. It's a detective trail.

True for all (so called) historical sciences. I like this guy. 🙂
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 May '14 03:47
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Like they say, it takes one to know one.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '14 07:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Like they say, it takes one to know one.
    All we old farts have are ad hominem attacks, right?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 May '14 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    All we old farts have are ad hominem attacks, right?
    No, I have a LOT more than that, I have presented you with ideas that a normal person with a reasonable brain would have caused them to reconsider their previous POV. You on the other hand cannot open your mind enough to even CONSIDER my ideas since for you ONLY goddidit.

I actually try to think things through. You ONLY have your stupid bible as your ultimate backup and the 6000 year thing isn't even biblical, only writers opinions but that's plenty good enough for you, being a tenth century man and wanting nothing more.

For instance, there have been at least 10 known asteroid strikes, one of which killed off the dinosaurs and put ejecta out as far as Burmuda 1500 feet deep.

You can't even imagine the energies involved in such a strike yet that has happened 10 times AT LEAST in Earth's history.

Now if those 10 strikes had happened in the last 6000 years there would be no life on Earth, the atmosphere would be poisoned and the ground torn up miles deep but all you could come back with was, well maybe they happened before mankind was put on Earth by your god.

But you swear the ancient Egyptian myth you believe in happened in literally 6 days so at best those strikes would have been, what, 3 Days before mankind was placed on Earth?

You just write that off as science fiction yet there ARE asteroid craters a hundred miles across and Earth does not recover from such devastation in a few days. Centuries would be more like it yet there are at least TEN such strikes.

But that bothers you not at all.

Because you are a one trick tenth century man pony.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 May '14 15:362 edits
    No, I have a LOT more than that, I have presented you with ideas that a normal person with a reasonable brain would have caused them to reconsider their previous POV. You on the other hand cannot open your mind enough to even CONSIDER my ideas since for you ONLY goddidit.

I actually try to think things through. You ONLY have your stupid bible as your ult ...[text shortened]... kes.

If those 10 massive asteroid strikes happened in just the last few thousand years, humans would certainly be extinct and we wouldn't be here now. Perhaps we could have survived with great difficulty just one of those massive strike and recovered in such a short period; but 10 of them! Absurd! Each one of those strikes would have devastated all plant life globally thus remove the bottom of the food chain. Then, after the shock waves and fires, any survivors would have contended with a long bitterly cold global winter where nothing could grow for at least a year -if nothing else, the few survivors would probably all die of a combination of cold and starvation. And this would be from just ONE of those massive strikes!
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '14 17:16

I actually try to think things through. You ONLY have your stupid bible as your ult ...[text shortened]... kes.

No one knows how many or how big any asteroid strikes were. Therefore, it is all speculation and not worth more speculation or comments in my opinion.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 May '14 18:16
    No one knows how many or how big any asteroid strikes were. Therefore, it is all speculation and not worth more speculation or comments in my opinion.
    You know the bible says so bloody little about the origins of life, the universe and everything that even to develop this into a creationist theory requires more speculation than the entire length of the bible itself. There simply is not enough text or enough content on these subjects inside the bible to provide even a fragment of a description of even the major issues. All else is theological speculation.

It is absolutely pointless to debate this topic, least of all with RJHinds, when the Creationists are content to dive down this type of rabbit hole to evade coherent criticism. Indeed, the Creationist argument requires such a blatant reliance on direct lies and intentional misrepresentation that we are forced to recognize we are dealing with people for whom informed debate is not part of the plan.

I don't like responding to an RJHinds post but at least once in a while I feel it is worth reminding other participants that you are pissing in the wind. I suspect he has appeared on the science forum because the spirituality forum has learned to ignore him. It takes a long time to affect his behaviour but eventually you just have to stop feeding the trolls.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '14 18:31
    Originally posted by C Hess
    I also liked the last line:

Ultimately, this isn't a guessing game. It's a detective trail.

True for all (so called) historical sciences. I like this guy. 🙂
    He is for the simple minded, who want to believe his bullshyte.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '14 18:372 edits
    You know the bible says so bloody little about the origins of life, the universe and everything that even to develop this into a creationist theory requires more speculation than the entire length of the bible itself. There simply is not enough text or enough content on these subjects inside the bible to provide even a fragment of a description of even the ...[text shortened]... kes a long time to affect his behaviour but eventually you just have to stop feeding the trolls.
    There is nothing wrong with doing science if it is done from the correct point of view. If they start wrong, it is also very likely they will end wrong. That is the problem with the theory of evolution and abiogenesis in my opinion as well as the opinions of many scientists that I agree with.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 May '14 18:411 edit
    He is for the simple minded, who want to believe his bullshyte.
    No, you creationists are the simple minds, regurgitating the same old, debunked arguments, ad nauseum.

One of my favourite 80's bands though. Hep hep hep hep - oooooo-ooo-ooo-ooh...

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me): YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree