1. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jul '11 08:43
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    ....coincides with me reading Einsteins statement that god does'nt play dice with the universe.
    That was a belief of Einstein's and not something he ever proved. As far as we know, most events in the universe at the quantum level are random. The problem is that we can never prove they are truly random even if they match the predictions of probability theory for random events.
    But I see no reason why we cannot assume that such events will continue to be indistinguishable from random events even if there really is a pattern behind them.

This leads me to discuss ,while drinking with my brother wether randomness really exists and if it does'nt what are the consequences.
    One possible consequence is that the universe may be entirely causal. ie the current state is dependant entirely on a previous state. Whether that means the future is fixed, or only one possible past existed, I am not certain.

It seems to me that probability theory seems to imply randomness ,which obviously is a problem for probabilty theory ,because of the mismatch between the real world ,where all events are weighted (non random) and the abstract world ,where randoness can exist.
    Probability theory is often about how much information we have and does not necessarily accurately predict real world outcomes. It only predicts the probability of a real world outcome based on the information available. Confusing isn't it?

The maths in probability is developed in the abstract world, then tested experimentally in the real world to see if it fits.
    The maths remains sound regardless of whether or not it 'fits' the real world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree