1. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 03:44
    Check out this link

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/11/111108-mars-moon-russia-phobos-grunt-soil-launch-space-science/?source=link_tw20111108news-russia

Your views?
  2. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 19:271 edit
    Unfortunately, it's not off to a much better start than its 17 failed predecessors.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-craft-fails-head-toward-mars-moon-ifax-031951633.html

I'd love to see it succeed, but frankly, I think the money could have been better used elsewhere.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 07:32
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    Unfortunately, it's not off to a much better start than its 17 failed predecessors.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-craft-fails-head-toward-mars-moon-ifax-031951633.html

I'd love to see it succeed, but frankly, I think the money could have been better used elsewhere.
    And we in the US are now depending on Soviet era rockets to get OUR astronauts to the ISS......
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 08:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And we in the US are now depending on Soviet era rockets to get OUR astronauts to the ISS......
    Not necessarily a bad thing ... why re-invent the wheel?

What is interesting is French aspirations............................
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 19:55
    Soviet-era rockets at least work - at least, the ones which they ended up with do. Were I ever lucky enough to visit the ISS, I'd rather go up in a Soyuz that in a Space "Semper Explodo" Shuttle.

RIchard
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 20:04
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Soviet-era rockets at least work - at least, the ones which they ended up with do. Were I ever lucky enough to visit the ISS, I'd rather go up in a Soyuz that in a Space "Semper Explodo" Shuttle.

RIchard
    In fairness to the space shuttle the chances of exploding were only empirically about 1 in 50...
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 02:222 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    In fairness to the space shuttle the chances of exploding were only empirically about 1 in 50...
    So just make sure you only take 49 trips....
    For the money we spent on the space shuttle, I wonder how many soyuz rockets could we have bought? Or even flights on the Soy?

Maybe we could have even arranged a trade, 2 slightly used shuttles for 50 soyuz flights....
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 12:37
    For the money we spent on the space shuttle, I wonder how many soyuz rockets could we have bought? Or even flights on the Soy?

Maybe we could have even arranged a trade, 2 slightly used shuttles for 50 soyuz flights....
    Or alternatively the space program could have been run like commercial flight is where the
    moment your latest design moves to production the next design is started on.
    So that they didn't get stuck in the mud for decades.
  9. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 03:49
    Looks like it is stuck in orbit LOL.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=skywatcher-photos-stranded-phobos-grunt
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 17:09

Brings a new meaning to Soy Source.

-m.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 12:33
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Brings a new meaning to Soy Source.

-m.
    Oh man that was so bad it was good🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree