Public Schools

Public Schools

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
30 Sep 17
1 edit

In the US all students attend university prep high schools. All students take classes which are supposed to prepare students for college.

Is this true for your country?

With the need for so many relatively high level of math teachers, is there any wonder how so many bad math teachers we have in the US?

I witnesses one 8th grade math teacher teach his students that the ratio for volume of cylinder to cone with same height and radius is two to one. I asked him why he believed this is true and he said, "because a cylinder has two circles and a cone has one."

He also told his students that there is no way to know which sides are corresponding if triangle abc is similar to triangle rst.

Why is he teaching math? Because the US tries to teach so many kids.

E

Moves
30 Sep 17

High school students range from 15 to 18. In many states education is compulsory until age 18, although 16 is compulsory in others. Even so, it is expected for kids to stay in school until 18.

D

Moves
01 Oct 17

E

Moves
01 Oct 17
2 edits

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Looks like China wants to provide education for all until the age of 15, but many kids can't afford school so drop out even at 9.

In the US education is a forced requirement. If you don't go to school your parents can go to jail. Kids resent going to school.

Looks like in China those who go to school actually want to be there. They also spend more hours in school than in yhe US.

One other thing, it looks like China's education system does not attempt to educate kids in rural areas, just cities.

D

Moves
01 Oct 17
2 edits

E

Moves
01 Oct 17

https://projectpartner.org/poverty/chinas-education-gap-a-surprising-factor-in-rural-poverty/

This link provides a different story.

E

Moves
01 Oct 17

https://www.google.com/amp/s/brightside.me/wonder-places/10-facts-about-chinese-education-i-learned-while-being-a-teacher-in-china-226310/amp/

After reading this, I do not believe that low preforming students stay in school until they are 15.

Those who do stay in school certainly learn to work.

D

Moves
01 Oct 17

E

Moves
01 Oct 17

Ah, ok.

E

Moves
02 Oct 17

When we judge education systems do we take into consideration special ed? I suppose a distinction between special physical needs and learning disabled and low iq.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
06 Oct 17

It seems everyone here (even those with law degrees) fall far short of the reading standards set by the all knowing Duchess.

D

Moves
07 Oct 17
1 edit

D

Moves
07 Oct 17

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
In the US all students attend university prep high schools. All students take classes which are supposed to prepare students for college.

Is this true for your country?

With the need for so many relatively high level of math teachers, is there any wonder how so many bad math teachers we have in the US?

I witnesses one 8th grade math teacher teach hi ...[text shortened]... similar to triangle rst.

Why is he teaching math? Because the US tries to teach so many kids.
If this is a debate what is your premise and why are you in this forum?

E

Moves
11 Oct 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
If this is a debate what is your premise and why are you in this forum?
It is not a debate, just a discussion. Perhaps what works and doesn't work coud be discussed and false beliefs exposed.

For instance, Singapore has a great practice for getting high scores, kick out the bottom third. Kick out large chunks of low performing kids and scores go up.