https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/11/211111130354.htm
    first ever simulation
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 03:03
    @ogb
    Every year they get closer to a real QC. The thing is those qubits are delicate things, go bananas at the slightest change in the environment, a rise in heat for instance, no more qubit but there are many ways to get qubits, now even photons may be used and they come up with ways to extend the lifetimes of these bits which now are measured in microseconds.
    So whatever you have to do to get your computation done, it better be in a microsecond or else the qubit goes bye bye.

So one big technological push is to try to extend the lifespan of each individual qubit, not so lucky with that but they are into the microsecond range whereas before they were looking at nanoseconds. They need to get those things to live in the millisecond range or even longer.
    That said, the goal is to get as many qubits together as they can, right now just a few dozen is all they can get going and that can do proof of concept stuff but not able to outshine the worlds bevy of supercomputers with their thousands of CPU's working together to get up and past Petabyte/second computation range.
    So the goal is to get thousands of qubits working together and even THAT is only the beginning of a much longer push, where they want millions of qubits all working together with good error correction.
    THEN we are in troubleπŸ™‚

One thing is Bitcoin.
    You can get bitcoins given to you in some kind of math contest, finding the most efficient algorithm to some prime number kind of problem.
    When QC's get going, it will be all over for bitcoin at least in that guise, getting bitcoins by coming up with that slightly better solution will be gone since a QC can do that kind of thing totally asleep if they ever get the theory right in implementation.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 05:06
    @sonhouse said
    @ogb
    Every year they get closer to a real QC. The thing is those qubits are delicate things, go bananas at the slightest change in the environment, a rise in heat for instance, no more qubit but there are many ways to get qubits, now even photons may be used and they come up with ways to extend the lifetimes of these bits which now are measured in microseconds.
    So whatever ...[text shortened]... e a QC can do that kind of thing totally asleep if they ever get the theory right in implementation.
    What happens when Bitcoin miners have QCs? Have you thought of that yet?

https://coingeek.com/quantum-computers-not-threat-bitcoin-paper-says/

https://academy.aax.com/en/is-quantum-computing-actually-a-threat-to-bitcoin/
  4. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 10:40
    What if these new computers say white can always win with a certain set of moves...

I guess we wouldn't play chess anymore πŸ˜”
  5. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 10:40

Removed by poster

6. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 13:14
    @contenchess said
    What if these new computers say white can always win with a certain set of moves...

I guess we wouldn't play chess anymore πŸ˜”
    That is an old discussion. And only if the system would be relatively simple chess would die out. Otherwise people can still enjoy
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 16:24
    @Metal-Brain
    I already talked about that and I think QC will kill at least the part of bitcoin where you can earn them though the math problem.

Bitcoin then will just be another debit card.
  8. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    15 Nov '21 19:13
    @ponderable said
    That is an old discussion. And only if the system would be relatively simple chess would die out. Otherwise people can still enjoy
    True. πŸ˜‰
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 01:27
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I already talked about that and I think QC will kill at least the part of bitcoin where you can earn them though the math problem.

Bitcoin then will just be another debit card.
    There will come a time when nobody can mine bitcoin, or at least so little bitcoin it would not be worth mining it anymore. At that point the incentive for mining will shift to earning transaction fees.

You need to be specific as to why you think QCs will be a threat to bitcoin. For example, if it is a 51% attack say so. Be specific.
  10. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Nov '21 03:04
    @sonhouse
    I'm trying to imagine what an android possessing a QC brain with a trillion stable qubits would be like.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '21 22:59
    @Contenchess
    If a chess program figured that out, it wouldn't take much tweeking to get that out of the equation.

Besides, if a comp figured it out, people like Magnus has a near perfect memory, can memorize chess moves like a linguist memorizes new languages so they will be able to see the whole thing in action.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '21 23:011 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    There you go again, expecting me, who maxed out as an Apollo technician, to be able to explain QC to someone like you who has no real interst in it, notice, not an engineer, or scientist, but I read a LOT.

So why don't YOU try something you seldom do, read about QC yourself and maybe you can answer some of your own questions.
  13. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 00:52
    You might find this interesting guys - overview of a Quantum Financial System.

https://binarapps.com/what-is-quantum-currency-how-will-quantum-money-affect-finance/
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 02:07
    @medullah
    I'm half afraid to look....end of our capitalist system? back to barter? How much for that hamburger? That will be 2 and one half feline skins or 1 pink rat skin.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree