1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 02:451 edit
    Is the idea of multiverses being used to explain the problems we've had reverse engineering the universe all the way back to a single point? I've read that the math breaks down as we approach the start of expansion, so is the idea of multiverses being used to help resolve this problem?

It would explain away the problem of getting something from nothing by saying there was always something, i.e. other parent universes. I don't buy into theories that say something could have come from nothing because something in that nothing vibrated, or that nothing itself split into positive and negative material values. By definition there is nothing in nothingness that can be defined as "something".
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 03:13
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Is the idea of multiverses being used to explain the problems we've had reverse engineering the universe all the way back to a single point? I've read that the math breaks down as we approach the start of expansion, so is the idea of multiverses being used to help resolve this problem?

It would explain away the problem of getting something from nothing ...[text shortened]... l values. By definition there is nothing in nothingness that can be defined as "something".
    Science fiction can explain everything, if the imagination is wild enough.

The Instructor
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jun '13 13:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds

The Instructor
    And nothing has more science fiction than your bible. It has polluted your thinking. You are on 100% star wars time.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    19 Jun '13 04:00
    Originally posted by RJHinds

The Instructor
    My imagination is wild enough, but IMO there is good science fiction and bad science fiction. Bad science fiction is what I usually see in movies and television series. It seems no matter how closely a story resembles an actual theory they always manage to screw it up.

I remember seeing an episode of the X-files, about a man from the future showing up in our time. He was frozen before making the trip because all the forces holding him together would kick into reverse when going back in time. This was the same theory I mentioned over at the Galaxy thread. The problem with that story is freezing him wouldn't solve the problem of him evaporating into space when he started traveling back in time.

Good theories are like good stories... whether they are true or not, they should at least make sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree