1. In your face
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 21:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I know it's been shown in photons where they were separated by enough space to prove when entanglement ended the effect had to 'transmit' a LOT faster than the speed of light.
    Photons always were a mystery to me ever since I studied wave theory at college. To be told that they behave like a wave sometimes and a particle at others totally confused me.

That said, the experiments at the LHC have shown that it could be possible for particles to travel faster than the speed of light, contrary to all previous theories. So is this 'entanglement' just something that is caused by this?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 13:11
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Photons always were a mystery to me ever since I studied wave theory at college. To be told that they behave like a wave sometimes and a particle at others totally confused me.

That said, the experiments at the LHC have shown that it could be possible for particles to travel faster than the speed of light, contrary to all previous theories. So is this 'entanglement' just something that is caused by this?
    The wave-particle duality applies to all matter.

Photons or other particles are never a "pure" wave, nor a "pure" point particle (such wavefunctions cannot be normalized).
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 14:53
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The wave-particle duality applies to all matter.

Photons or other particles are never a "pure" wave, nor a "pure" point particle (such wavefunctions cannot be normalized).
    It all seems to boil down to POV. If you don't measure it, it is a wave, if you do, it's a packet. Go figure.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 21:26
    It all seems to boil down to POV. If you don't measure it, it is a wave, if you do, it's a packet. Go figure.
    Hmm no, it's never a wave, in the sense of a sine. And it's never a particle, in the sense of a delta function.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 12:48
    just a theory?
    You lose.

Richard
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 13:45
    I know it's been shown in photons where they were separated by enough space to prove when entanglement ended the effect had to 'transmit' a LOT faster than the speed of light.
    No information can be transmitted faster than light.
    You wrote 'transmit' (within single quotation marks), does that show that you know that too?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 13:471 edit
    That said, the experiments at the LHC have shown that it could be possible for particles to travel faster than the speed of light, contrary to all previous theories.
    This result is still questionned. It is not a true fact.
    The experiment isn't reproduced with the same result anywhere else in the world.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 14:59
    Interesting reading of relevance to the previous group of posts.

http://www.desy.de/user/projects/Physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Dec '11 17:481 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No information can be transmitted faster than light.
    You wrote 'transmit' (within single quotation marks), does that show that you know that too?
    There had to be SOME kind of information transmitted, otherwise how would the second entangled particle, about to become unentangled, when they are say 1000 km separated, which if you clocked a photon would be about 3.6 milliseconds before a photon could cross that distance, but the unentanglement happens the instant the other one gets unentangled, millions of times faster than the 3 milliseconds it would take for a photon to fly the distance of that path.

Mike, thanks for the link, it puts all the major features of relativity in one metapage.
    You never said whether you lost your instruments in the flood. How is it going over there now? Sawadee cop!
  10. Germany
    Moves
    24 Dec '11 23:01
    There had to be SOME kind of information transmitted, otherwise how would the second entangled particle, about to become unentangled, when they are say 1000 km separated, which if you clocked a photon would be about 3.6 milliseconds before a photon could cross that distance, but the unentanglement happens the instant the other one gets unentangled, millions ...[text shortened]... aid whether you lost your instruments in the flood. How is it going over there now? Sawadee cop!
    The point is that what is transmitted is not "information" in a physical sense.
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 13:11
    There had to be SOME kind of information transmitted, otherwise how would the second entangled particle, about to become unentangled, when they are say 1000 km separated, which if you clocked a photon would be about 3.6 milliseconds before a photon could cross that distance, but the unentanglement happens the instant the other one gets unentangled, millions ...[text shortened]... aid whether you lost your instruments in the flood. How is it going over there now? Sawadee cop!
    It's dry now, but smelly and like the aftermath of a war zone! Rubbish, garbage and destroyed belongings piled 20ft high everywhere. A big big disposal problem, but should be cleaned up within 2 months, so we are told.

My guitars went high on top of wardrobes on the second floor, and not a jot of damage, thankfully. The odd snapped string due to fluctuations in humidity, but no instrument damage.

Thanks for asking. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-m.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '11 22:062 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    It's dry now, but smelly and like the aftermath of a war zone! Rubbish, garbage and destroyed belongings piled 20ft high everywhere. A big big disposal problem, but should be cleaned up within 2 months, so we are told.

My guitars went high on top of wardrobes on the second floor, and not a jot of damage, thankfully. The odd snapped string due to fluctuations in humidity, but no instrument damage.

Thanks for asking. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-m.
    I already went through a bout of lost instrument, in my case, theft. When I got out of the Air Force at a now defunct air base, Lincoln AFB in Nebraska, I had all my stuff with, two large toolboxes full of mechanic tools, clothes, a Martin D-18, a gibson classic (not very good) a Christy long neck pete seeger model 5 string banjo, a Martin 12 string, Pete seeger played it!, and a cheapo 5 string.

All ripped off one day after pulling into Denver, looking for an apartment, I was inside for no more than an hour and when I went back to the car, it was cleaned out. EVERYTHING gone. It was locked and all. I found out later it was done by an indian from a nearby res, supposed to be the grandson of chief sitting bull, which may have been just that๐Ÿ™‚ but my heart was broken at the grand old age of 24. I still mourn them.

Another time, my family and I went to Israel for 4 years, made many friends in the folk music community there and in 2002, went back for a visit, loaded to the gills with instruments, visited Kibbutz Tsora, they have a fine folk club run by Judi and Lynn Lewis, great folk musicians from the UK, been in Israel for decades. So we brought a lot of dulcimers, mandolins, guitars, bodhrans, had a great time with old friends there (http://tzorafolk.com/club/tzora.htm)

So it was about midnight, people helped us load the car with all the instruments and I didn't notice my prized mandolin, a 1902 gibson A2 model had been left on the black asphalt driveway instead of making it to the car and we took off the next day and left, didn't notice it was gone till we got back to Pennsylvania. It was in a very black case, nobody noticed it on the asphalt driveway.

I bout had a heart attack, that mandolin was worth easy 2000 bucks, besides being a GREAT sounding instrument. I played that instrument on national TV back in the day and played in 3 bands with it. Never heard from it again. All my buddies checked the Kibbutz when they found out, checked hock shops, music stores. Nothing. It's gone gone gone. Sigh. Well I still have a 1926 A model that sounds pretty good but nothing like the one I lost.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 03:05
    I already went through a bout of lost instrument, in my case, theft. When I got out of the Air Force at a now defunct air base, Lincoln AFB in Nebraska, I had all my stuff with, two large toolboxes full of mechanic tools, clothes, a Martin D-18, a gibson classic (not very good) a Christy long neck pete seeger model 5 string banjo, a Martin 12 string, Pete s ...[text shortened]... gh. Well I still have a 1926 A model that sounds pretty good but nothing like the one I lost.
    :'( :'(

That is just awful, I know the feeling of losing an old instrument. :'(

In the UK, when I was at Uni I had a Di Giorgio 1972 handmade mahogany backed. It was bought for me by my mum, on special order. It was stolen from my room during a day I was at lectures. It was, of course, insured; but nevertheless, it was irreplaceable. The body was 8" thick from inside to inside, and the resonance was unbelievable. It just went also, and was never heard of again. Probably now in the house of some 50 yr old who could never play. :'(

It still hurts! :'(

-m.
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 03:07
    I already went through a bout of lost instrument, in my case, theft. When I got out of the Air Force at a now defunct air base, Lincoln AFB in Nebraska, I had all my stuff with, two large toolboxes full of mechanic tools, clothes, a Martin D-18, a gibson classic (not very good) a Christy long neck pete seeger model 5 string banjo, a Martin 12 string, Pete s ...[text shortened]... gh. Well I still have a 1926 A model that sounds pretty good but nothing like the one I lost.

In the UK, when I was at Uni I had a Di Giorgio 1972 handmade mahogany backed. It was bought for me by my mum, on special order. It was stolen from my room during a day I was at lectures. It was, of course, insured; but nevertheless, it was irreplaceable. The body was 8" thick from inside to inside, and the resonance was unbelievable. It just went also, and was never heard of again. Probably now in the house of some 50 yr old who could never play. :'(

-m.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 02:36
    Originally posted by mikelom

In the UK, when I was at Uni I had a Di Giorgio 1972 handmade mahogany backed. It was bought for me by my mum, on special order. It was stolen from my room during a day I was at lectures. It was, of course, insured; but nevertheless, it was irreplaceable. The body was 8" th ...[text shortened]... now in the house of some 50 yr old who could never play. :'(

-m.
    Hurts so bad you had to say it twice๐Ÿ™‚
    Cop Coon Cop.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree