Quantum physics shown at room temp!

Quantum physics shown at room temp!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Dec 11

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-quantum-world-diamonds.html

Something strange and wonderful going on here!

K

Germany

Moves
05 Dec 11

Quantum physics at room temperature is hardly new, quantum entanglement (in a way that is measured) AFAIK is.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Dec 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Quantum physics at room temperature is hardly new, quantum entanglement (in a way that is measured) AFAIK is.
Could they do entanglement like that if the two crystals were say separated by a lead container around one of them?

K

Germany

Moves
06 Dec 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Could they do entanglement like that if the two crystals were say separated by a lead container around one of them?
I don't think so, the lead container would absorb the phonons.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Dec 11

I don't think so, the lead container would absorb the phonons.
You think it's phonons that connect them? What about photons entangled? Would it matter then?

K

Germany

Moves
07 Dec 11

You think it's phonons that connect them? What about photons entangled? Would it matter then?
Of course, photons also strongly interact with lead.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Dec 11

Of course, photons also strongly interact with lead.
I was imagining a huge sphere of lead, one photon let loose entangled with another outside the lead sphere, and you measured the one say, inside the lead sphere, would the other one do its unentangled thing too? I don't think the phonon thing would be involved if it were in a vacuum for both photons.

K

Germany

Moves
12 Dec 11

I was imagining a huge sphere of lead, one photon let loose entangled with another outside the lead sphere, and you measured the one say, inside the lead sphere, would the other one do its unentangled thing too? I don't think the phonon thing would be involved if it were in a vacuum for both photons.
How would you get an entangled photon through a sphere of lead?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Dec 11

How would you get an entangled photon through a sphere of lead?
A very fast trap door.

Moves
15 Dec 11

A very fast trap door.
Or the assistance of one of Maxwell's demons.

Richard

F

Moves
15 Dec 11

I know that some quantum phenomena demand cool (in some sense) environment, but isn't it so that many things in our homes wouldn't work at all if not quantum physics has a finger in play?

What about a CD-player? Would that device work if only Newtonian physics were available?

Moves
17 Dec 11

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I know that some quantum phenomena demand cool (in some sense) environment, but isn't it so that many things in our homes wouldn't work at all if not quantum physics has a finger in play?

What about a CD-player? Would that device work if only Newtonian physics were available?
Your very computer would not work without room temperature (or higher - there's a cooling fin on that chip for a reason) quantum physics: the transistors in integrated circuits depend on it. So without high-temp quantum physics, no RHP...

Nevertheless, the story that started this thread is, IIUIC, something else. It involves a quantum effect which had, up to now, not been observed under "normal" circumstances. (How "normal" a diamond is is another matter.)

Richard

F

Moves
17 Dec 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Your very computer would not work without room temperature (or higher - there's a cooling fin on that chip for a reason) quantum physics: the transistors in integrated circuits depend on it. So without high-temp quantum physics, no RHP...

Nevertheless, the story that started this thread is, IIUIC, something else. It involves a quantum effect which ha ...[text shortened]... ved under "normal" circumstances. (How "normal" a diamond is is another matter.)

Richard
Title of this thread: "Quantum physics shown at room temp!"

My comment: There are quantum physics in any temperature.

In your face

Moves
17 Dec 11

Sorry, I'm a bit of a nube to this entanglement business. So has entanglement actually been observed between electrons with a large geographical separation or is it just a theory?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Dec 11

Originally posted by jimslyp69
Sorry, I'm a bit of a nube to this entanglement business. So has entanglement actually been observed between electrons with a large geographical separation or is it just a theory?
I know it's been shown in photons where they were separated by enough space to prove when entanglement ended the effect had to 'transmit' a LOT faster than the speed of light.