1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    11 May '16 10:21
    Very nifty detective work!

    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Teen-uses-Google-Maps-to-discover-ancient-mayan-7450416.php
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    11 May '16 11:59
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Very nifty detective work!

    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Teen-uses-Google-Maps-to-discover-ancient-mayan-7450416.php
    Let us know when it is actually confirmed. So far all he found was slightly different coloured patches of forest - not far from human settlement and quite likely cleared by humans in the 70s.
    Also of interest is the claim that he used constellations, but there is no drawings showing how he did this, what constellations he used, what other cities he matched etc. Until I see more, I remain highly sceptical.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    11 May '16 17:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Let us know when it is actually confirmed. So far all he found was slightly different coloured patches of forest - not far from human settlement and quite likely cleared by humans in the 70s.
    Also of interest is the claim that he used constellations, but there is no drawings showing how he did this, what constellations he used, what other cities he matched etc. Until I see more, I remain highly sceptical.
    News at 11....
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    12 May '16 12:20
    It seems my scepticism was reasonable:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/lost-mayan-city-discovered-jungle-7952131
    It could be a weed farm 🙂
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    12 May '16 12:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It seems my scepticism was reasonable:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/lost-mayan-city-discovered-jungle-7952131
    It could be a weed farm 🙂
    There goes his scholarship....

    Still, someone has to get boots on the ground and take a sniff, so to speak🙂
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    12 May '16 13:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It seems my scepticism was reasonable:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/lost-mayan-city-discovered-jungle-7952131
    It could be a weed farm 🙂
    It's also reasonable to be highly sceptical of reporters for red-top British newspapers. This is one of the rags that was involved in phone hacking.
  7. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    12 May '16 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    It's also reasonable to be highly sceptical of reporters for red-top British newspapers. This is one of the rags that was involved in phone hacking.
    Do you prefer CNN?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/11/americas/mayan-city-debunk/

    I work with satellite imagery as part of my job. The imagery available to me was inconclusive. I was sceptical because the imagery presented with the original story was also inconclusive and it looked like too much had been read into the images. Journalists love a good headline more than they love the truth - and this applies to almost all news outlets most of which just rehash stories between them without double-checking. Then when the story is debunked by someone, they can all pass on the debunking too because the headline still works! They still get to put 'maya city' and 'discovery' in the title.
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    12 May '16 13:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you prefer CNN?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/11/americas/mayan-city-debunk/

    I work with satellite imagery as part of my job. The imagery available to me was inconclusive. I was sceptical because the imagery presented with the original story was also inconclusive and it looked like too much had been read into the images. Journalists love a good he ...[text shortened]... ecause the headline still works! They still get to put 'maya city' and 'discovery' in the title.
    Yes, that's a far better story. It will be interesting to me to see what is found there, if the trip still goes ahead.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 May '16 10:15
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Yes, that's a far better story. It will be interesting to me to see what is found there, if the trip still goes ahead.
    Probably a local phone call could clear up the situation.
Back to Top