1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 22:13
    Originally posted by humy
    What on earth are you talking about? You have just totally lost me. I had just changed the subject almost completely (to tidal power. I could have started a new thread on this but didn't think it worth while starting a new one ) and said/implied absolutely nothing in that post about the "USA" nor "subsidies" nor how renewables compete with none renewables. Your ...[text shortened]... sure how it would relate to let alone contradict any claim I made previous to that post.
    "What on earth are you talking about? You have just totally lost me. I had just changed the subject almost completely (to tidal power."

Of course you changed the subject. That is what you do to avoid confronting the facts. I proved you wrong and now you want to change the subject. What else is new?

How about sticking to the subject? Can you do that?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 22:323 edits
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    "What on earth are you talking about? You have just totally lost me. I had just changed the subject almost completely (to tidal power."

Of course you changed the subject. That is what you do to avoid confronting the facts. I proved you wrong and now you want to change the subject. What else is new?

How about sticking to the subject? Can you do that?
    Firstly, you haven’t proved me wrong about anything because, as I just said, nothing you said in that post contradicted what I said previously. If you claim otherwise, please give a specific example of something I said that the link you gave contradicted....

Secondly, I just said I changed the subject because “ I could have started a new thread on this but didn't think it worth while starting a new one “ and I wasn't even responding to your post when I mentioned tidal power so clearly it was not to "avoid" anything. If you have a problem with that, tough! Not my problem.

I will continue to use this thread for posting other renewable energy issues -if you have a problem with that as well, tough again! -not my problem. I can post whatever science topic I like and don't take orders from you.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 17:05
    Originally posted by humy
    Firstly, you haven’t proved me wrong about anything because, as I just said, nothing you said in that post contradicted what I said previously. If you claim otherwise, please give a specific example of something I said that the link you gave contradicted....

Secondly, I just said I changed the subject because “ I could have started a new thread on this but d ...[text shortened]... again! -not my problem. I can post whatever science topic I like and don't take orders from you.
    Just as I thought.
    You are just incapable of admitting you are wrong.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 13:35
    http://phys.org/news/2014-01-closer-solar-cells.html
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 04:37
    I don't know about Hydrogen cars but electric cars like the Teslas are just inefficient. They have a range of Apox. 160 miles then it takes hours to recharge the damn things. They do have torque and power but at the expense of range. Lastly until any of this technology can be made cheaper people are just not interested.

Manny
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 04:43
    They need to make it where when the car is running it is recharging or at least keeping it batteries maintained with some type of Alternator or Generator just like Gas and Diesels cars do already. Only the charging system goes directly into keeping the cells charged. BMW already made Hydrogen cars.

Manny
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 04:51
    http://ecomento.com/2014/01/17/electric-audi-q8-e-tron-poised-challenge-tesla-model-x-2015-430-mile-range/
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 06:23
    Originally posted by menace71
    I don't know about Hydrogen cars but electric cars like the Teslas are just inefficient. They have a range of Apox. 160 miles then it takes hours to recharge the damn things. They do have torque and power but at the expense of range. Lastly until any of this technology can be made cheaper people are just not interested.

Manny
    My main concern is the expense. I could never afford a new car anyway, so I have to wait until second hand electric cars are readily available (and there are spares and mechanics etc).
    The range would not be a problem for me as I do not need to do more than 160 miles. Most of my trips are under 5 miles and I could probably live with a car that can't go more than 50 miles.

I don't know how the economics work out here in SA, but in Zambia, an electric car would have running costs many times lower than fossil fuel cars. This is because electricity is cheap (hydroelectric power) and fuel is expensive (imported overland and heavily taxed).
    My sister has been planning to get an electric car but she needs a farm vehicle (pickup truck) not a sedan. Again, distance is not much of an issue, she could live with under 50 miles a day.
    There are suitable vehicles in China, but getting them to Africa is not exactly easy.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 06:25
    They need to make it where when the car is running it is recharging or at least keeping it batteries maintained with some type of Alternator or Generator just like Gas and Diesels cars do already.
    That is called 'hybrid' and has been available for years (Toyota Prius is the most famous).
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 15:00

Manny
    Actually the Model S has a range in the 230~300+ mark. [depending as ever on how
    and where you drive]

I suspect however that, IF the technology pans out, something like these would be
    the way to go for electric cars...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=157348

If those organic flow batteries can be made cheaply and compactly enough, you could
    have recharging stations [either personal ones in your house, or industrial ones like petrol
    stations] which steadily convert the battery fluid from spent to charged state, and you
    simply pump out your spent fluid and replace it with charged. In a comparable time but much
    lower expense, than filling up with petrol. This evens out the load on the power grid, and
    means that you don't have to leave your vehicle plugged in for hours to recharge.
    The hours of recharging is done in the recharging station and not in the car.

Although this system would also allow you to plug in the car to recharge, and/or fit solar panels
    as additional charging methods.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree