1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 01:58
    Here is a link to a short piece about 'new magnetic waves' in the study of superconductors. In it it says 'neutrons are magnetic'. Is that true? I thought the big deal with neutrons was it's ability to NOT be effected by either electric or magnetic fields, not redirected like electrons or protons, etc.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-scientists-magnetic.html
  2. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 03:143 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is a link to a short piece about 'new magnetic waves' in the study of superconductors. In it it says 'neutrons are magnetic'. Is that true? I thought the big deal with neutrons was it's ability to NOT be effected by either electric or magnetic fields, not redirected like electrons or protons, etc.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-scientists-magnetic.html
    My guess would be whatever makes up the neutrons (quarks?) might make up a very slight (not directly noticeable on atomic level) dipole moment.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 04:09
    Originally posted by ua41
    My guess would be whatever makes up the neutrons (quarks?) might make up a very slight (not directly noticeable on atomic level) dipole moment.
    Definitely quarks, and there is something going on inside neutrons not quite neutral I just read somewhere, quark charges not totally balanced or some such. Have to dig up the link.
  4. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 05:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Definitely quarks, and there is something going on inside neutrons not quite neutral I just read somewhere, quark charges not totally balanced or some such. Have to dig up the link.
    I'd be interested in reading this. Post the link if you find it 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree