1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 04:17
    How hard would it be to build one ? like make your own ? Is it even possible ?

Manny
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 11:431 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    How hard would it be to build one ? like make your own ? Is it even possible ?

Manny
    I found this:

http://circuitsalad.com/category/physics/

The schematic, not too bad actually:

http://circuitsaladdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/geiger.gif
  3. Germany
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 13:47
    There are many different kinds of radiation, and as such you need different radiation detectors for each type. Your body has several, for instance your eyes contain radiation detectors.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 14:581 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There are many different kinds of radiation, and as such you need different radiation detectors for each type. Your body has several, for instance your eyes contain radiation detectors.
    So do your fingers and the rest of your skin.

Humans have a problem detecting Thz radiation though.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 19:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So do your fingers and the rest of your skin.

Humans have a problem detecting Thz radiation though.
    Among many other things - how are your radio antennae doing? 😉
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 23:13
    Given his Lat and Long, I'm guessing he'd like to detect the types of radiation emitted by the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor in Japan.

Am I close, Manny?
  7. Austin
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 14:17
    A Field Guide to Radiation by Wayne Biddle is a source to learn about different types of radiation.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 16:25
    Among many other things - how are your radio antennae doing? 😉
    My job is taking up at least 50% of my time during the week, literally, 12 hours a day, job + commute, so only time is on weekends for antenna stuff but it is very cold right now, been concentrating on music and holiday stuff. Probably won't do antenna till spring. I have everything ready to go, have a 70 foot tower, just need to dig that 6X6X6 hole and fill it with concrete and put the footers in the concrete and I am on my way. Maybe 4^3 might be enough.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 16:39
    LOL yeah.....just curious but the weather from Japan ends up right here in Northern California. It's hard to determine what is just paranoia and real from the internet. Geiger counters sound like expensive pieces of equipment. I'm sure we get trace amounts of Cesium here and whatever the other elements are. Maybe I'm being paranoid LOL 🙂

Manny
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 16:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My job is taking up at least 50% of my time during the week, literally, 12 hours a day, job + commute, so only time is on weekends for antenna stuff but it is very cold right now, been concentrating on music and holiday stuff. Probably won't do antenna till spring. I have everything ready to go, have a 70 foot tower, just need to dig that 6X6X6 hole and fil ...[text shortened]... with concrete and put the footers in the concrete and I am on my way. Maybe 4^3 might be enough.
    sonhouse my old man was a HAM radio operator....built his own antenna also. It was a Beam with the two poles vertically coming off the center beam shape of an H. I think He was allowed 50 Watts max. He used Morse Code and I know he talked with people all over the world. It was actually very cool stuff he was doing.

Manny
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 16:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Given his Lat and Long, I'm guessing he'd like to detect the types of radiation emitted by the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor in Japan.

Am I close, Manny?
    Very Close 😉

Manny
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 17:062 edits
    Originally posted by menace71
    sonhouse my old man was a HAM radio operator....built his own antenna also. It was a Beam with the two poles vertically coming off the center beam shape of an H. I think He was allowed 50 Watts max. He used Morse Code and I know he talked with people all over the world. It was actually very cool stuff he was doing.

Manny
    Do you remember his call? My call is AI3N (All In Three Nights) What year did he get his license? I think at one time only novice license holders were limited to 50 watts. The limit at one time was 2000 watts, now down to 1500 watts PEP (Peak Envelope power, a kind of average number)

My favorite contact was using a wire hanging down from my second story window to the ground at an angle, about 20 feet of wire, and talking to KC4AAA, the ham station at the American site at Antarctica. We were going to play a game of chess but the signal died away.
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 18:07
    He was WA6ANR I do remember that and his QSL cards that he would get 🙂 He told me that he had worked every state in the Union and USSR at the time I believe it was mid-80's oh and He worked the space shuttle and he was telling me about a station in New York that was running on 1 watt and his rig fit in a sardine can and my dad had trouble hearing the station at times. I know he had regulars that he would chat with also. The funny thing I do remember also is that he bought filters from the radio shack because he was interfering with the neighbors foot ball on TV LOL

Manny
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 18:151 edit
    His radio I remember was called a "Tempo 1" and it was made I believe by Yaesu ??? I remember he had to match the radio to the antenna and he almost fried the radio one time. He was into CB's also and He had one CB that he could slide in between channels and was into "Shooting Skip" as he would say when the conditions were right he would talk to people in Texas and Mexico area on the CB. He was telling me the CB bands were becoming what he termed as garbage bands because there was always noise on the bands.

Manny
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 18:22
    Plus he had a radio called a heathkit I think I was allowed to play with that one and it was so fun listening to Short Wave and all of the odd bands. The "Voice Of China" I remember the propaganda it was saying in the capitalist west they are making their children carry 150lbs. bags of newspapers or something like that it was funny 🙂

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree