Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 May '08 23:49
    Alia Sabur, started talking and reading at the age of 8 months, finished grade school, age 5, got a black belt in thai Kwando age 9,
    plays virtuoso clarinet, first concert with a full orchestra age 11. entered university age 10, got her BSEE age 14, by 16 had MS and Phd in material science, now is the worlds youngest full professor, beating a record set by a student of Isaac Newton, who became a full professor at the age of 19 or 20. She broke a 300 year old record. Already has research papers on the properties of carbon nanotubes.
    Think she might be Mensa material?
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24273418/
  2. 12 May '08 12:50
    Is that a US style professor or a UK style professor? Just wondering.
  3. 12 May '08 13:47
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Is that a US style professor or a UK style professor? Just wondering.
    Korean style, apparently.
  4. Standard member scottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    12 May '08 14:28
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Is that a US style professor or a UK style professor? Just wondering.
    I suspect a US style Professor, rather than a British style Prof.

    A british Prof is a head of a research group, normally 25+ years of post-PhD experience, and affords the holder a seat on the university senate (for the older universities.

    A US "professor" is really a colloquial term given to any teacher at tertiary level, although they do have a system similar to the British system.
  5. 12 May '08 15:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I suspect a US style Professor, rather than a British style Prof.

    A british Prof is a head of a research group, normally 25+ years of post-PhD experience, and affords the holder a seat on the university senate (for the older universities.

    A US "professor" is really a colloquial term given to any teacher at tertiary level, although they do have a system similar to the British system.
    That's what I expected. Although 25+ years post PhD may be overstating it a little. I've known a few people reach professor in their 30s. You'd certainly expect a significant research record though.

    Still pretty impressive though!
  6. Standard member scottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    12 May '08 16:51
    Originally posted by mtthw
    That's what I expected. Although 25+ years post PhD may be overstating it a little. I've known a few people reach professor in their 30s. You'd certainly expect a significant research record though.

    Still pretty impressive though!
    Yes, a few get Prof in their 30s, and some in their 40s. At 25 years experience, I'm giving a nice round figure of 50, however, which isn7t unreasonable. Depends upon the institution and the competition. I'm aiming for about 45 personally.
  7. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    16 May '08 16:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Alia Sabur, started talking and reading at the age of 8 months, finished grade school, age 5, got a black belt in thai Kwando age 9,
    plays virtuoso clarinet, first concert with a full orchestra age 11. entered university age 10, got her BSEE age 14, by 16 had MS and Phd in material science, now is the worlds youngest full professor, beating a record set by ...[text shortened]... carbon nanotubes.
    Think she might be Mensa material?
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24273418/
    All amazing achievements, except of course for the TKD black belt. They give those things out to anybody (including much younger children) for just 20 easy payments of $200.

    Mensa material lol.

    Mensa is like Who's Who in America, almost anyone can get in. Even if upper tail of the IQ distribution were fairly thin as MENSA assumes, that's still 2% of the population qualifying. That's not special at all. In reality, the upper tail is much fatter: many more than 2% of the population (at least the American population) score 140 or greater.

    Okay, that's my tangential rant. Yes, kudos to her. Very brilliant indeed!
  8. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    18 May '08 00:31
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I suspect a US style Professor, rather than a British style Prof.

    A british Prof is a head of a research group, normally 25+ years of post-PhD experience, and affords the holder a seat on the university senate (for the older universities.

    A US "professor" is really a colloquial term given to any teacher at tertiary level, although they do have a system similar to the British system.
    Your British style Professor then is a bit more like a Full Professor in the US.