1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    31 Jul '17 12:364 edits
    So what is the bigger threat to humanity, religion or science?

    I often hear people say that religion is the cause of all our wars, thus it is evil and if not destroyed will destroy us. However, when looking at the world the opposite seems to be true.

    Speaking of war, why do we have guns? Why do we have tanks? Why do we have WMD's? Is it not because of science? It seems Korea is poised to start World War 3 with their development of WMD's, along with Iran

    What of global warming? I hear that the entire globe is threatened by global warming and increasing populations. So without the science of exploiting fossil fuels for the benefit of mankind, population levels would not be near what they are today nor would we have carbon emissions filtering into the atmospehere at alarming levels.

    What of Monsanto and their GM produce? I hear that they have made their plants that we eat unable to reproduce, which then pollinates other plants so that they can't reproduce with the threat of a world with non-reproducing plants.

    What of plastic? I hear it is clogging the worlds oceans and pollution is off the charts. I also hear that plastic will never biodegrade and be around to pollute forever. Did not science give us this fantastic material to use at our whim?

    And what of Ai? Hear man is on the verge of creating an artificial intelligence, devoid of human empathy that will no doubt see mankind as some sort of threat to the planet once it takes in all the data. So what will it do to "save" the planet?

    Was the story of the Garden of Eden on target? Is the true danger to mankind partaking of the tree of knowledge that is devoid of wisdom?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    31 Jul '17 12:40
    The immediate problem will be what to do with people once robots can do most jobs.
  3. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    12 Jul '17
    Moves
    1824
    31 Jul '17 14:50
    All the tools are there. My guess is we left them here for ourselves to get past these problems. It's just a matter of using them appropriately. Religion/Science Pfft. Whatever works.
  4. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    12 Jul '17
    Moves
    1824
    31 Jul '17 14:501 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The immediate problem will be what to do with people once robots can do most jobs.
    To avoid the advent of robot consumerism. Building robots to build robots. We need to set the interface towards human and only move it when and if we have to.

    I for one wouldn't mind clocking in to help mine an asteroid in VR.
  5. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    7733
    31 Jul '17 14:57
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So what is the bigger threat to humanity, religion or science?

    I often hear people say that religion is the cause of all our wars, thus it is evil and if not destroyed will destroy us. However, when looking at the world the opposite seems to be true.

    Speaking of war, why do we have guns? Why do we have tanks? Why do we have WMD's? Is it not because ...[text shortened]... get? Is the true danger to mankind partaking of the tree of knowledge that is devoid of wisdom?
    The problems with both religion and science lie in their application. The inability of humanity to fully think through a solution is our folly. However, that doesn't mean we should stop thinking.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    31 Jul '17 17:599 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So what is the bigger threat to humanity, religion or science?
    the biggest threat to humanity is humanity.
    Science is evidence-based knowledge while religion tells us not to think but just believe without question whatever nonsense it says is true, no matter how absurd and no matter what evidence there is against it. Science is a tool and, like all tools, what harm or good it does generally depends on what we choose to do with it. What we must do is not be against science, i.e. evidence-based knowledge and thinking, but rather be against using it for evil while encouraging using it for good. Just like all tools, its threat and/or benefit is our choice so asking about the 'threat' of science is asking the wrong question; the right question is; what can we do about the threat of humanity choosing to use science and/or religion against humanity?
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6859
    31 Jul '17 18:081 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So what is the bigger threat to humanity, religion or science?
    USAlien faux-religious, faux-scientific anti-Christians like yourself.

    NEXT!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    31 Jul '17 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The immediate problem will be what to do with people once robots can do most jobs.
    The immediate problem is there are WAY too frigging many humans on Earth. Cut them down 90% and most all the problems we face now are gone. And. BTW, religions are far worse, since they are hypocrites, saying let's have peace but secretly buying all the nasty weapons they can come up with. I am speaking of ISIS and Taliban and those governments controlled by religions.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    31 Jul '17 18:53
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    The immediate problem is there are WAY too frigging many humans on Earth. Cut them down 90% and most all the problems we face now are gone. And. BTW, religions are far worse, since they are hypocrites, saying let's have peace but secretly buying all the nasty weapons they can come up with. I am speaking of ISIS and Taliban and those governments controlled by religions.
    I find it hypocritical to be alive and complaining about too many people being alive.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    01 Aug '17 01:23
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I find it hypocritical to be alive and complaining about too many people being alive.
    Maybe he was volunteering to be in the 90%...
  11. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    7733
    01 Aug '17 01:28
    Originally posted by @humy
    the biggest threat to humanity is humanity.
    Science is evidence-based knowledge while religion tells us not to think but just believe without question whatever nonsense it says is true, no matter how absurd and no matter what evidence there is against it. Science is a tool and, like all tools, what harm or good it does generally depends on what we choose to ...[text shortened]... can we do about the threat of humanity choosing to use science and/or religion against humanity?
    Well, that begs the question; What exacly is "good" and "evil" in the eyes of science?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    01 Aug '17 02:14
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    The problems with both religion and science lie in their application. The inability of humanity to fully think through a solution is our folly. However, that doesn't mean we should stop thinking.
    Agreed.

    Jesus only condemned the religious leaders of his day for their hypocrisy. Sinners he embraced.

    How is my post suggestive that we stop thinking? I would think the opposite has occurred. My question is, how do we adopt wisdom on such matters? Additionally, does science seem to be an even bigger threat to human survival when devoid of wisdom than religion?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    01 Aug '17 02:15
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The immediate problem will be what to do with people once robots can do most jobs.
    What do you think will happen to all the people once they no longer are needed?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    01 Aug '17 02:202 edits
    Originally posted by @humy
    the biggest threat to humanity is humanity.
    Science is evidence-based knowledge while religion tells us not to think but just believe without question whatever nonsense it says is true, no matter how absurd and no matter what evidence there is against it. Science is a tool and, like all tools, what harm or good it does generally depends on what we choose to ...[text shortened]... can we do about the threat of humanity choosing to use science and/or religion against humanity?
    Religion tells us how we should treat our fellow man and relate to God. Would you agree that most do not adhere to the example of Christ?

    Conversely, science empowers us over the material universe. There are no standards set as to then treat our fellow man with such power and knowledge.

    I would think that those who focus only on the material aspect of our existence would only feel threatened by those who empower themselves by it and laugh at those who waste their time with spiritual teachings such as telling others to love their fellow man as themselves.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    01 Aug '17 02:22
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    Well, that begs the question; What exacly is "good" and "evil" in the eyes of science?
    I think evil is believing something devoid of the scientific method.....unless it is a teaching like abiogenesis that can neither be observed or duplicated.
Back to Top