1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Jun '13 07:517 edits
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Oops, I thought you were asking if I was drunk. [b]LOL

If our universe could be whacked by another universe, doesn't that mean it exists alongside of our universe, instead of being a universe in a different dimension?[/b]
    what do think "a universe being in a different dimension" but interacting with our own would mean if not meaning it "exists alongside of our universe"? How else would you define "alongside" if not via an interaction such as being "whacked" in this context? There is evidence that the interaction is continuing in the present day.

On a separate note: I don't know why the "axis of evil" is so-called. That may be just a stupid name or perhaps there is a good historical reason for it that I am unaware of. Anyone?
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 Jun '13 07:59
    Originally posted by humy
    what do think "a universe being in a different dimension" but interacting with our own would mean if not meaning it "exists alongside of our universe"? How else would you define "alongside" if not via an interaction such as being "whacked" in this context? There is evidence that the interaction is continuing in the present day.
    It's enough to drive a man to drink.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Jun '13 09:422 edits
    It's enough to drive a man to drink.
    This explains the wide scale world wide abuse of alcohol. DAMN THEORETICAL ABSTRACT COSMOLOGY!!!
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 03:26
    It took me a moment to understand what you meant, but I think you are talking about first cause?

Eliminating first cause is not as easy as it seems, because doing so means you need to deal with infinity. And trying to factor in infinity is about as easy as trying to divide zero by zero. For example, if Johnny has an infinite number of apples in his po ...[text shortened]... regenerating multiverses doesn't resolve the problem of first cause, it just pushes it away.
    I need to correct myself again.

If the various universes could have different values for time, light speed, magnetic forces, higgs boson etc. etc. then it's possible for infinity to be more than a conceptual number, and actually be a very real and integral part of a particular universe's set of values with no standard deviation, and anyone living in such a universe would have an infinite number of fingers and toes for calculating those values.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 04:29
    I need to correct myself again.

If the various universes could have different values for time, light speed, magnetic forces, higgs boson etc. etc. then it's possible for infinity to be more than a conceptual number, and actually be a very real and integral part of a particular universe's set of values with no standard deviation, and anyone living in such a universe would have an infinite number of fingers and toes for calculating those values.
    That points out how stupid the idea is.

The Instructor
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 05:141 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds

The Instructor
    LOL The fingers and toes part was a bit over the top.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 06:491 edit

The Instructor
    only his interpretation.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 13:08

The Instructor
    To you, anything not in the bible is a stupid idea.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 12:37
    Originally posted by humy

On a separate note: I don't kn ...[text shortened]... ame or perhaps there is a good historical reason for it that I am unaware of. Anyone?
    The "axis of evil" was just a nickname given to the apparent observation that there was an asymmetry in the MBR data indicating that the universe was not uniform at large scales (which most theories assume/predict).

It was thought to be most likely an error in the measurement.

It now looks to be a real observation... Which is awesome as it gives us something new to factor into the theoretical work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree