Richard Dawkins admits to Intelligent Design

Richard Dawkins admits to Intelligent Design

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Jul 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
Hey, you are so all fired sure of your god, find the archaeological evidence for the bible stories outside of the bible. For instance, Paul didn't know much about JC, the exodus didn't happen like it says in the bible and most of the other tales in the bible are all way exaggerated. Especially the stupid flood tale. Oh, Jonah got swallowed by a whale? REALLY?
The Exodus Revealed - Search for the Red Sea Crossing

The Instructor

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Jul 13

MSNBC - Scientists Try to Explain Red Sea Parting [2010-09-23]

The Instructor

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Jul 13

Ron Wyatt Archaeology - The Exodus

The Instructor

Moves
16 Jul 13

RJHinds.

The science forum is not here for you to preach your irrational, unscientific, anti-science,
religious rhetoric...

That's what spirituality forum is for.

Please go there and leave here.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Jul 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
RJHinds.

The science forum is not here for you to preach your irrational, unscientific, anti-science,
religious rhetoric...

That's what spirituality forum is for.

Please go there and leave here.
Archaeology is science in case you didn't know. This just happens to be archaeology to support a historical event in the Holy Bible. That is the only reason you have to be against it being posted on this Science Forum. But it is science whether you like it or not, so button up.

The Instructor

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
17 Jul 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
MSNBC - Scientists Try to Explain Red Sea Parting [2010-09-23]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR50uC_1Krg

The Instructor
Chariot wheels were found in the water where it's believed the Exodus crossing took place, and there is an old report of Napoleon finding that spot and crossing it when the wind was able to cause a sandy strip to occur for a short time. I doubt the Napoleon story is taken seriously, but apparently locals there have reported seeing a crossing through the Red Sea at that spot from time to time.

What happens is when you have a consistent wind blowing long enough in just the right direction, water is held back because the sea floor at that point forms a mound that is high enough to appear for a short time. When the wind eventually dies down the mound is covered with water again. This has been proven in a lab using a long tank of water and sand positioned at the bottom the way it appears at the Red Sea location... they recreated the wind conditions and in a few minutes a dry spot appeared. At the Red sea location it doesn't happen that quickly, but as long as the wind is consistently blowing in the same direction then eventually it does happen.

Those chariot wheels are a bit of a mystery though, because of how far out into the water they've been seen. But I believe this can be explained. The Egyptians probably held some kind of contest there, and one of those contests might have been the Wheel Toss (like our olympic discus toss event) to see how far someone could throw a chariot wheel across the water. I doubt if anyone could throw a wheel all the way across to the other side, but a sport doesn't necessarily have to make sense... and neither does this explanation of how those wheels got there.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
17 Jul 13
1 edit

Archaeology is science in case you didn't know. This just happens to be archaeology to support a historical event in the Holy Bible. That is the only reason you have to be against it being posted on this Science Forum. But it is science whether you like it or not, so button up.

The Instructor
Counter point:

This doesn't belong to the science forum. We can't talk about the physics involved in creating a passage through the Red Sea because physics isn't science... physics is religion.

Paleontologists who find an unexplainable level of preservation in a dino bone should stick to their own area of expertise, and not talk about dino bones. What would they know about dino bones, or some supposedly unexplainable level of preservation? Paleontology is not science, paleontology is simply religion masquerading as science. Archaeologists and paleontologists are not scientists, they are just people who like to dig stuff up and look at it. It's ridiculous! When are people going to wake up and listen to me?

And what about this so called big bang theory? Are you kidding me? This is obviously an attempt by creationists to invent the idea of a universe having a beginning, so it will match up with their fairy tale creation story. That's all it is... the big bang isn't a real theory, it's just a big fat creationist fraud that has been foisted on ignoramuses and computer programmers. The big bangy thing was designed out of whole cloth and for no other purpose than for religious nuts to take over yet another area of science with their kooky ideas.

h

Moves
17 Jul 13

Originally posted by lemon lime
Counter point:

This doesn't belong to the science forum. We can't talk about the physics involved in creating a passage through the Red Sea because physics isn't science... physics is religion.

Paleontologists who find an unexplainable level of preservation in a dino bone should stick to their own area of expertise, and not talk about dino bones. Wh ...[text shortened]... than for religious nuts to take over yet another area of science with their kooky ideas.
Wow. You have no limits to all your delusional straw mans

Moves
17 Jul 13

Originally posted by humy
Wow. You have no limits to all your delusional straw mans
I don't know... I can't tell if that was supposed to be sarcasm or not...
If it was sarcasm it was almost funny...

If it wasn't it's severely depressing.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
17 Jul 13

Chariot wheels were found in the water where it's believed the Exodus crossing took place, and there is an old report of Napoleon finding that spot and crossing it when the wind was able to cause a sandy strip to occur for a short time. I doubt the Napoleon story is taken seriously, but apparently locals there have reported seeing a crossing through the R ...[text shortened]... arily have to make sense... and neither does this explanation of how those wheels got there.
This is meant to have happened about the same time as the Sea Peoples were active. So I think what happened is that the plagues were caused by overpopulation due to sieges. The Israelites negotiated with the Sea Peoples and were given safe passage provided they lured the Egyptians into pursuit. Moses signals the Sea Peoples who let him through, when the Egyptian army tried to follow they are caught in a pincer movement, and that stuff about the sea closing in on them refers to the pincer movement.

This is pure speculation of course, but it isn't inconsistent with the narrative and doesn't rely on supernatural or natural but rare events.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Jul 13

What happens is when you have a consistent wind blowing long enough in just the right direction, water is held back because the sea floor at that point forms a mound that is high enough to appear for a short time. When the wind eventually dies down the mound is covered with water again. This has been proven in a lab using a long tank of water and sand pos ...[text shortened]... ed Sea location... they recreated the wind conditions and in a few minutes a dry spot appeared.
Where exactly is the 'location' you mention? I would like to check for myself in Google Earth how deep the Sea is there.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Jul 13

Counter point:

Paleontologists who find an unexplainable level of preservation in a dino bone should stick to their own area of expertise, and not talk about dino bones. Wh ...[text shortened]... than for religious nuts to take over yet another area of science with their kooky ideas.
I was mainly talking about the archaeology, not the physics. Is archaeology also a religion?

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Jul 13

I was mainly talking about the archaeology, not the physics. Is archaeology also a religion?

The Instructor
Physics as a religion. Now THAT is funny. So you put your hand in a pot of boiling water. Is it religion that tells you you will be bloody well burned?

If I have a chemical charge inside a bullet and aim the gun at you and fire, is it religion that tells me you will be bloody well dead?

If I jump off a 10 story building is it religion that tells me I will be bloody well dead at the end of that trip?

Are there ANY bounds to your delusions?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
17 Jul 13

The Instructor
I was playing Devils advocate again. Sorry for the interruption. I'll try to not go off on a tangent like this too often. It needed to be said, and a little comic relief helps break the tension. That part about the big bang wasn't too far off though. When it was a new theory it was criticised for looking too much like the in the beginning part of Genesis, and critics speculated it was an attempt to legitimize creationism.

Around that same time I was seeing articles and books claiming God is dead, because evolution was becoming more and more acceptable to the general public. So the claim that evolution has nothing to do with atheism is also bogus. Atheists were celebrating evolution because they believed it was able to invalidate God. Back then I was too young to understand what all the fuss was about, and it took years for me to understand how one had anything to do with the other.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Jul 13
1 edit

I was playing Devils advocate again. Sorry for the interruption. I'll try to not go off on a tangent like this too often. It needed to be said, and a little comic relief helps break the tension. That part about the big bang wasn't too far off though. When it was a new theory it was criticised for looking too much like the in the beginning pa ...[text shortened]... s was about, and it took years for me to understand how one had anything to do with the other.
Okay, I understand. Anyone that dares to question evilution must be stupid from the viewpoint of the atheist, because to them it is proven fact. 😏 You better tell sunhouse, he thinks you were serious and is worked up about it.

The Instructor