1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Jul '18 20:27
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Higgs field” is the only “scalar field” observed in nature according to wikipedia and the link I posted.

You claimed time dilation is scalar. That contradicts the above statement. Both cannot be correct. Either you are wrong or the above statement is wrong. Which is it?
    I claimed that it was a scalar quantity, because it is a scalar quantity, there is just one number. It is associated with an observer and not a fundamental quantum field. The Higgs on the other hand is a scalar field. It is a physical thing. Also since air pressure is a scalar quantity and defined everywhere within the atmosphere it is a scalar field, it is just not a fundamental quantum field.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '18 21:41
    Originally posted by @humy
    No, it DOESN'T. There is NO contradiction there.

Time dilation isn't a field so it wouldn't matter if Higgs field is the only observed scalar field because that would still mean time dilation still can be scalar. This is because a "scalar field" IS a "field" (that is why it is so called) and time dilation isn't.
    "Time dilation isn't a field"

What is your source of information?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '18 21:44
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    I claimed that it was a scalar quantity, because it is a scalar quantity, there is just one number. It is associated with an observer and not a fundamental quantum field. The Higgs on the other hand is a scalar field. It is a physical thing. Also since air pressure is a scalar quantity and defined everywhere within the atmosphere it is a scalar field, it is just not a fundamental quantum field.
    You have never used the term scalar "quantity". You are not being honest.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 02:28
    "Time dilation isn't a field"

What is your source of information?
    I have two degrees in theoretical physics. I am an expert in this.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 04:49
    I have two degrees in theoretical physics. I am an expert in this.
    http://file.scirp.org/Html/10-7500597_17700.htm
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:263 edits
    http://file.scirp.org/Html/10-7500597_17700.htm
    The author of this link, in explaining his personal theory, NOT explaining the accepted scientific facts, is obviously misusing the word "field" to give it some meaning other than the accepted meaning in science. What about it?
    Lets go to a proper science link, shall we?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(physics)
    "...In physics, a field is a physical quantity, represented by a number or tensor, that has a value for each point in space and time..."

How does the "has a value for each point in space and time" part above make sense for the definition of "time dilation"? Answer, it doesn't.

So, you cannot be a man and admit when you know you are wrong.
    Are you a physics expert?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:29
    This person is misusing the word "field" to give it some meaning other than the accepted meaning in science. What about it?
    So, you cannot be a man and admit when you know you are wrong.
    Are you a physics expert?
    What is your source of information? Don't you have one?
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:324 edits
    What is your source of information? Don't you have one?
    Just read my link I just provided in that same post.

Also see;

http://paperity.org/p/79015130/gravitational-time-dilation-derived-from-special-relativity-and-newtonian-gravitational
    "... Time dilation in Special Relativity is based on the derived value of γ (a scalar value) (Einstein, 1905). ..."

The "(a scalar value) " part above very clearly indicates time dilation is scalar.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:41
    Just read my link I provided.

Also see;

http://paperity.org/p/79015130/gravitational-time-dilation-derived-from-special-relativity-and-newtonian-gravitational
    "... Time dilation in Special Relativity is based on the derived value of γ (a scalar value) (Einstein, 1905). ..."
    That doesn't say time dilation is not a field. You need to do better than that.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:423 edits
    That doesn't say time dilation is not a field. .
    right, but it does contradict your assertion that it isn't scalar, which is why I showed it.

Here we go again;
    "...In physics, a field is a physical quantity, represented by a number or tensor, that has a value for each point in space and time..."

How does the "has a value for each point in space and time" part above make sense for the definition of "time dilation"? Answer, it doesn't.

So, contrary to your claims;
    Time dilation is;
    1, scalar
    2, not a field

DeepThought has ALSO confirmed to you that it isn't a field and he is definitely a real expert. So all the experts and all the science says it isn't a field. Are you an expert?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:46
    right, but it does contradict your assertion that it isn't scalar, which is why I showed it.

Here we go again;

How does the "has a value for each point in space and time" ...[text shortened]... nswer, it doesn't.

So, contrary to your claims;
    Time dilation is;
    1, scalar
    2, not a field
    Is time dilation at sea level the same as at the top of Mount Everest?
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 07:489 edits
    Do you still say time dilation isn't scalar or will you be a man and admit you are wrong?
    Is, according to you, time dilation scalar?
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 08:081 edit
    That's not a trivial question as there is a considerable amount of mountain right underneath and it depends on the local gravitational field. The difference in the rates at which clocks tick also depends on the state of motion of the observer. Someone standing at the top of Mount Everest will have a clock that ticks at a slightly different rate to someone flying past in an airliner at the same altitude.

The relevant physical field is something called the metric, it has 10 independent components. One can deduce the difference between the rates clocks tick for two different observers in different places with different states of motion from it.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 08:08
    time dilation of what? Time dilation isn't of a specific absolute point in space but always relative to something else. There isn't any meaningful absolute "time dilation field".

Do you still say time dilation isn't scalar or will you be a man and admit you are wrong?
    Is, according to you, time dilation scalar?
    We are talking about gravitational time dilation. You are confused.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 08:12
    That's not a trivial question as there is a considerable amount of mountain right underneath and it depends on the local gravitational field. The difference in the rates at which clocks tick also depends on the state of motion of the observer. Someone standing at the top of Mount Everest will have a clock that ticks at a slightly different rate to som ...[text shortened]... ks tick for two different observers in different places with different states of motion from it.
    The other factors don't make me wrong for asking the question. There is a difference because of altitude and you know it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree