Science Demonstration

Science Demonstration

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 Aug 08
1 edit

As a new science teacher I had to do some demonstrations. Here's one.

I had a metal pan. In it I placed a piece of paper. I soaked the paper in a liquid, dumped out the excess, then lit the paper on fire. A couple seconds later I quickly extinguished the fire, and showed that the paper was completely undamaged. No charred bits at all.

Explain!

n

Moves
24 Aug 08

You used the wax paper that came with the BLT you had for lunch.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 Aug 08
2 edits

Originally posted by nihilismor
You used the wax paper that came with the BLT you had for lunch.
No. That might work though.

The experiment fails if I do not soak the paper in a liquid first.

d

A galaxy far away

Moves
24 Aug 08

The liquid is ethanol

w

Moves
24 Aug 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

I had a metal pan. In it I placed a piece of paper. I soaked the paper in a liquid, dumped out the excess, then lit the paper on fire. A couple seconds later I quickly extinguished the fire, and showed that the paper was completely undamaged. No charred bits at all.

Explain!
You were drinking heavily before the demonstration.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 Aug 08

Originally posted by darkbishop28
The liquid is ethanol
Isopropyl alcohol actually.

But not only isopropyl alcohol. There's something mixed in that might help protect the paper.

d

A galaxy far away

Moves
24 Aug 08

But not only isopropyl alcohol. There's something mixed in that might help protect the paper.
I was close 😛

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
24 Aug 08

Explain!
You stood behind your table and because the class was far enough from you, you could fool them into believing that it really was paper. It was actually a painted aluminum plate which you soaked in fuel.

And of course it wouldn't have worked, if you hadn't soaked it in fuel. Aluminum doesn't burn that easily. Dooh!

d

A galaxy far away

Moves
24 Aug 08

is it alcohol and water?

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
24 Aug 08

It all depends on how much liquid is involved. If you put enough gasoline for the paper to be submerged, you could do the same thing.

m

Moves
25 Aug 08

Explain!
I think you soaked the paper in water previous to the experiment, then put it in the pan with isopropanol until the paper had just a thin film of isopropanol on it.

The paper would still be soaked with water and so would not burn but the isopropanol would burn.

?

🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Aug 08

Originally posted by darkbishop28
is it alcohol and water?
Yes. 🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Aug 08

Originally posted by mlprior
I think you soaked the paper in water previous to the experiment, then put it in the pan with isopropanol until the paper had just a thin film of isopropanol on it.

The paper would still be soaked with water and so would not burn but the isopropanol would burn.

?

🙂
You got the general idea.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
25 Aug 08

Solids don't burn. They vaporize first, then the vapors (gases) burn.

The liquid vaporizes before the solid (paper).

Only the liquid was burning, even though it looked as though the paper was burning.

The paper was a catalyst (a wick, as on a candle).

What kind of a science teacher does a cool demonstration and doesn't explain what the point was? Or, was that your assignment, to come up with the explanation? Did we help you cheat?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Aug 08
4 edits

Originally posted by coquette
Solids don't burn. They vaporize first, then the vapors (gases) burn.

The liquid vaporizes before the solid (paper).

Only the liquid was burning, even though it looked as though the paper was burning.

The paper was a catalyst (a wick, as on a candle).

What kind of a science teacher does a cool demonstration and doesn't explain what the point was? Or, was that your assignment, to come up with the explanation? Did we help you cheat?
First of all, I didn't do this one because it made me uncomfortable (open flame 😕) and I only had 20 minutes. It was just one of a bag of tricks and I didn't have time for it. I did an oil and water demonstration (homemade lava lamp), a salt and soda demonstration, and vinegar and baking soda. I had more planned but I only had 20 mins and I didn't bring my lighter that day anyway.

If I had done it, I would have explained it...after I asked my students to try to explain it to me!

Also unused were the "put out the candle with a glass" and a "relight the candle by igniting the smoke" demos, the second of which I still haven't even tried once.

It was a demo for orientation, that's all. The students didn't need to take notes or anything.