1. Seattle
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 06:16
    Hello all, I often stop by here for a read, though it is not my usual stay. I plan on joining this forum to further educate myself about the world and universe in which I live. I also hope to contribute, however I know most of you will be more qualified than I am. I plan on debating where I can, however I want to clarify an issue I often see in this forum: "Science" vs "Religion."

Personally, I am a Christian. I am also a Chemical Engineering student at University of Washington. I am presidential scholar and my strongest field in standardized testing has always beens science. I am not saying this to brag (there are many that are MUCH smarter and more adept than I am at my age), but rather try and show that while I am a Christian, I am not ignorant, I am not stupid or blind. Rather, I am willing to see points of view and learn: to assimilate what I learn into what I already believe.

Ultimately, it is obvious that the basic laws of science rule our lives, and if God uses it or not to do so should not be a part of the debate (or atleast something I will do my absolute best to not argue). Rather I wish to learn and debate on scientific facts.

On a personal level, my goal is not to "learn science" to argue for Christianity or a god, but rather to gain a better appritiation of the universe. Personally, I see it as I my calling to learn and put in this perspective, however most of you have heard "self-rightous" Christians preach at you, so I will do my absolute best to leave my religion at the door and focus on science for science sake when it comes to posting here.

I am posting this to make clear my standing, while further demonstrating my hope to break from the "Christian stereotype." I hope to break this because, in all honesty, most god beliveing (despite religion) people on this site (and others like it) use religion to debate science, in which it will (and always should) fail when discussing scientific fact. Basically, they make idiots of themselves. I have no problem admitting that. They are often ignorant and living off of blind faith (though I know that there are some out there who don't fit in to that category either),

I hope you enjoy my company as much I hope to enjoy yours,
    C_Guy1
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 10:292 edits
    Originally posted by c guy1
    Hello all, I often stop by here for a read, though it is not my usual stay. I plan on joining this forum to further educate myself about the world and universe in which I live. I also hope to contribute, however I know most of you will be more qualified than I am. I plan on debating where I can, however I want to clarify an issue I often see in this forum: tegory either),

C_Guy1
    Nice opener. Now talk to Kelly Jay and see what he thinks.
    Also chal me when you dump a game or two! Maybe you can even cough up 30 bucks to join! I see in your profile you have an OTB rating of about 1500, is that USCF? Also, do you get down to the docks and see the music buskers there? I know a girl, Michelle DeLattre, her father is a pretty famous author of philosophy books, anyway she plays down in the market place there, ever hear her? Beautiful soulful girl. Her dad is Pierre Delattre, author of "Tales of the Dalai Lama"
  3. Seattle
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 17:501 edit
    unfortunantly not USCF, though I have a coach at my high school who I beat regurly. He's 1724. Once I move down into the city, I plan on playing in some USCF tournies and finally getting a rating.

as for the game load, I just joined thenon sub tourny and have like 8 games, so it might be awhile
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 20:17
    Hello all, I often stop by here for a read, though it is not my usual stay. I plan on joining this forum to further educate myself about the world and universe in which I live. I also hope to contribute, however I know most of you will be more qualified than I am. I plan on debating where I can, however I want to clarify an issue I often see in this forum: ...[text shortened]... tegory either),

C_Guy1
    Very pleased to see someone with that kind of attitude joining our ranks. I hope you have a great time here. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  5. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 16:14
    With that post you just proved to be smarter than 80% of the people here. Although there are blind religious people trying to impose God in every scietific debate, there are also those that use science as an excuse to mock religion.

Those are the really dumb ones, if you ask me.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:02
    Hello all, I often stop by here for a read, though it is not my usual stay. I plan on joining this forum to further educate myself about the world and universe in which I live. I also hope to contribute, however I know most of you will be more qualified than I am. I plan on debating where I can, however I want to clarify an issue I often see in this forum: ...[text shortened]... tegory either),

C_Guy1
    Congrats for your open minded and accurate philosophy!

I wish you the best in your life, I wish you to have always the power to keep up seeking the reason behind everything๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 00:081 edit
    Hello all, I often stop by here for a read, though it is not my usual stay. I plan on joining this forum to further educate myself about the world and universe in which I live. I also hope to contribute, however I know most of you will be more qualified than I am. I plan on debating where I can, however I want to clarify an issue I often see in this forum: tegory either),

C_Guy1
    Wait...there are rational Christians? Is this guy a freak or something?

Welcome to the forums ๐Ÿ˜‰.
  8. Seattle
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 11:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Wait...there are rational Christians? Is this guy a freak or something?

Welcome to the forums ๐Ÿ˜‰.
    to answer your questions: usually no; and yes

and thanks, I only hope I can live up to what I have claimed...
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 22:51
    haven't been here for a couple of months I think. because I got fed up with the religious threads. now I come back and it's worse than ever, maybe half of the threads are thinly veiled religion threads, and thus have no place here. there's a spirituality forum for that stuff already, and anybody willing to debate that crap from EITHER side should be there or debates.

I was afraid this degeneration would happen, and made a couple of futile attemps to fight it. I have no interest in whether you believe in some religious construct or not, just keep it away. - I know this won't make the slightest difference, the guilty will continue their littering uninhibited until the posts & threads in question start getting deleted or moved routinely. there probably should be special mods for that, with zero tolerance for excuses. -but I just felt like saying it. and I'm cranky for lack of sleep.

sorry for possibly hijacking your thread c guy1, didn't want to start a new thread just for this, and your topic seemed suitable. you seem like a sane enough guy based on this thread, so good luck.

I don't know if I'll come back, there's no point in reading a science vs. religion forum. not when I can get pure science elsewhere. see you guys in general & chess.
  10. Australia
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 11:51

C_Guy1
    Great post and glad to have someone with your open attitude on the science forum. Unfortunately there are a few people of the stereotype you mention on this forum who often try and drag everything back to science v religion....... you will soon recognise them ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'm sure the learning will be reciprocal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree