1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 06:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There is no scientific proof of the authenticity of the shroud. There may be evidence but no proof and furthermore even if it was proven to be a burial cloth there is zero evidence it came from JC and you know that full well, you just would never admit it, even to yourself.
    Science Proves Shroud Is The Genuine Burial Cloth

YouTube
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 09:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Science Proves Shroud Is The Genuine Burial Cloth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MMOAV-xYFs
    You don't even know what science is. You usually deny science. Now you use it for your own purposes? Wouldn't it be better if you decide yourself?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 15:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You don't even know what science is. You usually deny science. Now you use it for your own purposes? Wouldn't it be better if you decide yourself?
    You don't know, for you are not ...

The Near Genius
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 15:56
    You don't know, for you are not ...

The Near Genius
    The only genius you are near is probably your high IQ son.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 16:54
    Originally posted by humy
    I wouldn't say it is absolutely conclusive because the text is incomplete and we may never know what exactly were the missing words but, nevertheless, it is powerful scientific evidence that Jesus probability did have a wife:

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-scroll-mentions-jesus-wife-ancient.html

"..A ancient piece of papyrus that contains a mention of Jes ...[text shortened]... rn fabrication ("forgery" ) was found," the Harvard Divinity School said in a statement.

..."
    I wouldn't say it is absolutely conclusive because the text is incomplete and we may never know what exactly were the missing words but, nevertheless, it is powerful scientific evidence that Jesus probability did have a wife:

What???

No it isn't. It isn't anything even remotely resembling "powerful scientific evidence" for JC having a wife.

IF it is genuine.

Then it can be considered evidence that one of the many myths created around JC that did not make it
    into the 'official cannon' included JC having a wife.

This is not a contemporary writing [there are none that I know of] written by people with a history
    of making stuff up.

The only SCIENCE being done here is in the dating of an ancient scroll [or whatever] and the writing on it,
    as well as checking it for signs of more modern forgery.

The balance of evidence doesn't even indicate that JC actually existed, and this does nothing to change
    that.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 16:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    wow you dismiss the entire Biblical cannon as irrational and then some singular piece of papyri shows up and you laud it as truth! there are literally thousands of extant codices and papyri of the Bible yet you remain silent about these!

Now let us view this with our mental faculties in the light of reason, the document may be genuine but it do ...[text shortened]... l! that great Bible scholar sir Issac Newton shall be turning in his grave at the thought of it!
    Seriously guys. When I have to agree with RC, let alone in the science forum...

You are doing stuff badly wrong.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 20:14
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Seriously guys. When I have to agree with RC, let alone in the science forum...

You are doing stuff badly wrong.
    Maybe you are rapidly devolving.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 21:02
    Maybe you are rapidly devolving.
    Yes, when appeal to non-reason doesn't work, go directly to ad hominems..
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 03:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yes, when appeal to non-reason doesn't work, go directly to ad hominems..
    I am still waiting for you to scientifically prove that the Shroud of Turin is a fake. Unless you can do that then it must prove the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 04:481 edit
    I am still waiting for you to scientifically prove that the Shroud of Turin is a fake. Unless you can do that then it must prove the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.
    It's easy to prove that the Shroud of Turin is a fake. So I use creationists rhetorics:

There are no mention of the shroud in the genesis, therefore it cannot have been created, therefore it cannot be such a thing as the Shroud of Turin. Therefore the thing presented as the Shroud of Turin must be a fake.

Or I can use the RJHinds kind of thetorics to disprovew the rag:

There were no city of Turin at the time of Jesus, dumbnut, therefore it is a fake, dumbnut! And this is true because I am the near genius! Dumbnut!"

Okay, now when this is proven, can we just dismiss the shroud as being a fake, from now on?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 05:571 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It's easy to prove that the Shroud of Turin is a fake. So I use creationists rhetorics:

There are no mention of the shroud in the genesis, therefore it cannot have been created, therefore it cannot be such a thing as the Shroud of Turin. Therefore the thing presented as the Shroud of Turin must be a fake.

Or I can use the RJHinds kind of thetorics t ...[text shortened]... "

Okay, now when this is proven, can we just dismiss the shroud as being a fake, from now on?
    That's not scientific proof, numbnuts.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 07:482 edits
    That's not scientific proof, numbnuts.
    Of course not they aren't. That's just RJHinds rhetorics!
    Dumbnuts!
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:00
    Nope.

IF.... and this is a really big IF... a test was done that proved that
    the shroud, and the image on it, were made at around the time JC
    was supposed to have been crucified...

Then that would prove that this was a cloth with an image on it
    made at about the time JC was supposed to have been crucified.

It wouldn't prove that the image made it onto the cloth magically.
    It wouldn't prove that it was a cloth wrapped around a crucifixion victim.
    It wouldn't prove that if it was wrapped around a crucified person that
    that person was JC. [we can't do a dna test because we haven't got a
    confirmed sample of JC's dna to compare to, we have no accurate contemporary
    pictures of JC to know what he looked like, and if we did, those could
    have been copied... ect]
    And even if it was wrapped around a real person called JC that wouldn't
    prove that JC was the son of god or could perform miracles.
    And it wouldn't prove that the person who was wrapped in it had come back
    to life.

As ever, for a piece of evidence to be proof of something, it must have only
    one possible rational explanation.

For the Shroud to be proof of the resurrection, then it must be possible to explain
    it's existence ONLY by JC's resurrection.
    As it is trivially easy to not only come up with alternate hypothesis, but more likely
    ones, then the Shroud wouldn't even be evidence FOR the resurrection, let alone
    proof. And that is assuming that it was confirmed to BE the shroud wrapped around
    JC.

And you can't even show that.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:30
    Googlefudge:

For the Shroud to be proof of the resurrection, then it must be possible to explain it's existence ONLY by JC's resurrection.

The Near Genius:

Yes, that is the only way it can be explained today. The scientists have no other explanation.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:35
    I follow this debate intensively.
    Who will win? Googlefudge or RJHinds?

As this is the Science Forum I bet my money on Googlefudge.
    On the other hand, if the debate would be in Spiritual Forum only one argument would be enough: "God-did-it-that-way". Science cannot disprove that there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree