1. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    93899
    17 Apr '08 13:17
    I came across a statement that these were accidentally developed by turning off a gene in mouse brains. The suggestion was that this gene made the mice inflexible in new situations, so turning it off improved the success rate of behaviour modification. Does anyone have any information on this?
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    17 Apr '08 14:03
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    I came across a statement that these were accidentally developed by turning off a gene in mouse brains. The suggestion was that this gene made the mice inflexible in new situations, so turning it off improved the success rate of behaviour modification. Does anyone have any information on this?
    Are you worried they'll beat your cats at chess?
  3. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Joined
    24 Sep '05
    Moves
    30579
    18 Apr '08 06:02
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    statement that these were accidentally developed by turning off a gene in mouse brains. The suggestion was that this gene made the mice inflexible in new situations, so turning it off improved the success rate of behaviour modification.
    I do not know how improved success of behavior modification or improvements in behavior modification implies smarter mice.

    I have looked into some of the research regarding human-mouse chimeras. But I expect that this is about something different. Could you please mention the source for the statement and concordant suggestion that you mentioned? 🙂 Thanks.
  4. Australia
    Joined
    16 Jan '04
    Moves
    7837
    18 Apr '08 07:05
    Originally posted by Yuga
    I do not know how improved success of behavior modification or improvements in behavior modification implies smarter mice.

    I have looked into some of the research regarding human-mouse chimeras. But I expect that this is about something different. Could you please mention the source for the statement and concordant suggestion that you mentioned? 🙂 Thanks.
    I haven't seen the paper but removing this "inflexibilty" may have enhanced the ability to make decisions instead of acting autonomously with certain tasks, thus using their brain more.

    Just a guess?
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    93899
    18 Apr '08 07:191 edit
    Can't find the article I originally saw, but here's another reference:

    http://www.physorg.com/news99495055.html

    maybe I COULD teach a cat to play chess.
    probably wouldn't be any better a player than its teacher though. 😳
  6. the highway to hell
    Joined
    23 Aug '06
    Moves
    24531
    18 Apr '08 08:40
    I think it is a good and serious question that needs an answer,
    why DONT they make mouse flavoured cat food ?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Apr '08 08:46
    Originally posted by eamon o
    I think it is a good and serious question that needs an answer,
    why DONT they make mouse flavoured cat food ?
    ... and mailman butt flavoured dog food?
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    18 Apr '08 10:36
    Originally posted by eamon o
    I think it is a good and serious question that needs an answer,
    why DONT they make mouse flavoured cat food ?
    Probably because they would need some human tasters to get the taste right.
  9. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    19 Apr '08 23:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Probably because they would need some human tasters to get the taste right.
    Nah. I doubt it.
  10. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    93899
    20 Apr '08 01:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ... and mailman butt flavoured dog food?
    as a marketer, how would you describe the flavour of mailman butt?
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55342
    20 Apr '08 11:25
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    I came across a statement that these were accidentally developed by turning off a gene in mouse brains. The suggestion was that this gene made the mice inflexible in new situations, so turning it off improved the success rate of behaviour modification. Does anyone have any information on this?
    I think I read about them in the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy.
  12. the highway to hell
    Joined
    23 Aug '06
    Moves
    24531
    20 Apr '08 12:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Probably because they would need some human tasters to get the taste right.
    that answer worries me........😕
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    3992
    26 Apr '08 20:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you worried they'll beat your cats at chess?
    You, mister, win the thread.
Back to Top